Monday, November 10, 2008

Sharing Time for the day of the Primary Program & Priesthood Preview Invitations

Primary has been keeping me busy but I thought I would share a few of the things I've been doing because they are cute ideas.
This is the best idea for Sharing Time the day of the Program:

A few weeks ago we had our Primary Program. My counselor had gone to a ward last year (after we had already done our Program) where they had put slips of paper in the program and asked everyone to write down the feelings they had about the program, how the children did or how it made them feel. I didn't even go there with asking my Bishop if we could put a paper in with the program this year because he doesn't like people having lots of stuff to sift through or read during the sacrament. After the Program was over, I had my counselors get Primary started and I raced into Sunday School and passed out the papers to everyone filtering in. I had them put their notes in my refurbished shoe box. I then went into Primary to teach Sharing Time. I had promised the kids cupcakes or cookies. So I pre-frosted sugar cookies and brought one bag of M&M's and a bag of candy corn. I drew a "happy" face and a "sad" face on the white board and drew a line down the middle. I told the kids how I had asked everyone to write down their feelings and put their comment in the box. I then called on each child one at a time and asked them to come pick a message out of the box. We read it out loud and the child had to tape the comment on the appropriate side of the white board (happy/sad). When I explained this the teachers gasped and the kids looked nervous. Come on, it's an object lesson there's obviously no sad comments. If the comment was good (which they all were) the child got to put a spoonful of either candy in a bowl. Each kid got to go twice because that's how many notes there were. The candy in the bowls at the end was how much candy they got to split to decorate their cookie. Of course they loved that. But what I was so not ready for was the immediate feedback that they really got it. Usually when you teach kids you never know if they are listening or if they learned anything. At least until or if they mention something a few weeks later and you think "they were listening!"

Anyways, after we were done taping the comments up on the happy side the board was FILLED. I just reiterated to the kids that they can make a difference in people's lives around them. The can make people feel happy inside. I said, "Look at all the comments. They are all good. And you did this all by yourselves!" I literally felt like their jaws dropped to the floor when they were starring at the notes. Like "YEAH! I did do that!" I only got halfway before I was crying helping the kids read the notes. It just felt so good to see them feel so appreciated!

This comment opened the flood gates:
"Dear Primary kids, I LOVED your program today. I love how happy you were. When you sang "If Jesus stood beside me" I almost cried because I could feel the spirit so strong. Thank you it was beautiful!"
I liked this one a lot too. It was from an elderly woman:
"I enjoy watching the children. It is so important for them to perform in front of an audience. I should have done that then I wouldn't be so petrified to get up before the congregation now. Keep up the good work. You are greatly appreciated."
All of the comments were great of course. And it didn't hurt that some mentioned how impressed they were with the memorized parts. Just a good pat on the back for those kids who really practiced at home. Anyways, I'm doing this every year. It had such an impact on the kids and ME!

*By the way, when I was getting the notes from the people in Sunday School the Bishopric was looking for me because they were in Primary giving a box of chocolates to each member of my Presidency and the music people for our hard work. I never expected that in a million years so it was that much more appreciated...especially after getting my FIRST cold sore that weekend with everything going on.

These are invitations I just made & handed out Sunday for our Priesthood Preview next Sunday.

I got the idea off of sugardoodle. They turned out really cute.

I also gave the parents of the boys who will be receiving the Priesthood next year a note asking them to observe their boy this week and write down Christ-like qualities that the child has. I asked them to keep this a secret from the boys, too. I asked them to write a letter to their boy telling him about these qualities both parents have noticed, when they've notice them (some personal stories) and what they recommend that child do to help strengthen those qualities & attributes. I've asked the father's to be prepared to read them at Priesthood Preview out loud. We only have a few boys so it's okay they take a few minutes. I hope it has a strong impact on these boys!

4 comments:

Stephers said...

What a great sharing time! I forwarded your link to our primary president, hope you don't mind.

lehiharmers said...

Steph fwd me your link-- (she is totally awesome by the way-- so you must be too:)
What a great idea for sharing time and for the kids to see the comments from the ward-- love it!
I also like your invites, they are adorable. I may have to check back to see what other fun primary ideas you have!

Noel Harmer

Baak Talk said...

Dear Amber,

You are the MOST AMAZING PRIMARY PRESIDENT EVER!! I'm sad my kids aren't there to share in it!

Keep up the great work.

MissAudreySue said...

Oh I LOVE this! I am totally going to do this with our primary tomorrow for after our program. Thanks for sharing such a great lesson and idea!!