Thursday, January 1, 2009

I turned 29!

I have a tendency of asking to go out of town for my birthday. By the time it rolls around I'm ready to get away. If I'm home I'm thinking: "I need to clean that, and organize that, and prepare Primary stuff and call this person and that person." My trick is if you leave...everything stays where you left it and you can enjoy the day for what it is.

This year Chad and I took the kids for a super short trip up to Big Bear. They had tons of snow. We left Monday night and stayed at his Grandma's house. We got up early Tuesday morning, rented ski's for all of us and only had to buy Chad's ticket at Bear Mountain. They sold out so fast it was crazy. I was free because it was my birthday and so were the kids because they were under 6 years old.

We had such a blast. Alexis and Carter both liked it. But I must say, I'm a little worried Carter found his element. He loved it.

Don't think for one second that I was that patient mom and took my kids on their first skiing trip (my second) to teach them to actually ski. Nope. Chad and I each took a kid. Put their ski's between ours like we would when we wake surf with them. (but of course they had their own ski's) Then I put my two poles together and held them down in front of me and had Carter hold them like a handle bar. Chad did the same and we skied down the intermediate slopes all morning. It was a blast. Carter was yelling, "WHOO HOO" the whole way down and kept asking to go again. He definitely could have gone all day. After we were there awhile he kept asking, "Mom, I wanna try dat!" SNOWBOARDING! AHHH! Do I have a Jacob on my hands? Because if so, I'm thinking I'm in for a lot of broken bones with this little one.

The only kink in my perfect Birthday was when Alexis wanted to try and ski a little on her own. I let her go and she took off. This being only my second time skiing I couldn't catch her. Chad and I were so scared. I thought she'd fall but she kept going and was heading straight into a tree. Luckily an older man was on the ground fixing his snowboard and Alexis skied straight into his back. I felt horrible for the man. It knocked the wind out of him but he was so nice and I was so grateful to him for being there.

As we were leaving my sister, Mindy, called because she was with her in-laws and their cabin backs up to Bear Mountain. She had hiked her kids to the top of the lift to find us and had made sandwiches. Isn't that so nice. Unfortunately, the wait to go up the lift took like 40 minutes and she had already been there for 40 minutes. We must have skiied right by her. I was shocked we missed her considering that was right where Alexis crashed. I thought it was so sweet of her!

We spent the rest of the day with his Grandma just relaxing in her cabin and visiting. It was a really good birthday.

Fast forward to New Year's Eve. Chad got sick. I had horrible cramps. So what did we do? We stayed home and watched movies and I did laundry till 1am. It actually turned out to be a pretty good New Years Eve. I did laundry and NO ONE touched my stuff because no one was here. See I'm not high maintenance. I'm happy if I can do my laundry without any competition!

7 comments:

Emily C said...

happy 29th! that is an awesome b-day trip. the pic of you and carter is so cute. and i konw what you mean about competing for laundry. my lucky nights in the laundry room are usually friday nights.

Stephers said...

Happy Bday! Looks like so much fun in the snow. Good luck with primary stuff, I know how much work that is all at once. I noticed your Cricut out there :-)

Baak Talk said...

Happy Birthday Amber!! I'm so glad you enjoyed it. You're ornament ideas were darling as was your darling christmas card door wreath. Where do you come up with it all.

Have a great '09!

Evaly said...

Happy Birthday! Looks like fun :)

Becca's Blog said...

Hey Amber,
Happy Birthday! It is so hard to believe that we are getting so old! What a great idea skiing together. I would probably kill a kid if I did that. That is so scary with Alexis....I am glad she found someone and not something to run into. What a sweet sister. Tell Mindy I said HI!

Jaime said...

ok skinny lady! We defintely need to hang out. I don't know if I can brave DLand alone with the two out of control monsters, but maybe I can just drive over next time I go to my parents' and we can chill.

Love Ya

Heidi said...

How fun! what a birthday, and so nice of you to share it with your kids.