Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Carter's Quilt

Another project...years in the making. Pathetic. But, finally, FINISHED!

I seriously bought this fabric almost 1 1/2 years ago just before Carter got a big boy bed. (I love that the fabric has all the popular southern California beaches!) A few months later I cut it all out. Every few months I'd work on it for a day or two and then get sick of it. Between cutting the fabric & batting and sewing all the X's on...I grew tired of it real fast.

Chad kept saying, "AMBER, why don't you finish Carter's quilt!" So after cleaning up from crafts this weekend he said it again Monday morning. I didn't want to pull it out but I did. I needed to finish it!

So, I literally spent about 10 hours doing it yesterday. The first 4 hours: measuring & sewing all the squares together and adding a thick border. The last 6 hours: cutting the edges so it would fray when I washed it. I had to cut it close together since most of the fabric is corduroy and I was afraid it wouldn't fray good enough.
You can see how it is reversible below. Clean edges on one side and rough on the other.

I made Alexis' reversible bedding about 4 years ago. I was going for somewhat of a pottery barn look. Sometimes, I just wish I could go out and buy that expensive PB bedding. My sisters think I'm crazy because my bedding is one of a kind.

Finally, both have quilts. Carter would see it un-finished in a drawer in our extra room and say, "Mom...you finish my beach blanket?" He is pretty stoked it's done.

I promise I didn't pose them. They insisted on being in the photo! Almost makes it look a little bit like a Pottery Barn add with them posing and all.

7 comments:

Summer said...

These are awesome.. I have thought about doing that style of quilt before, but I have never seen anyone do it with fabric other than flannel. Again you are amazing! I do live about 90 minutes from the PB outlet, two summers ago I hit it just right on the way home from ATL and got Hannah's whole bedding set for $60... sheets, duvet, quilt and sham.. it's the only time I haven't felt guilty for not making something myself.. but your bedding is way cuter! If you didn't already have a job and 2 almost three kids.. I would seriously suggest ETSY for your talents.

Breana and Jordan Holmes said...

you are just on a roll with all these projects, they are all so cute!

Heidi said...

VERY CUTE! I have wanted something like that with for Jackson's bed, but went the easy way and bought a very generic blanket.

justnjess said...

now I look forward to see what you made each day, I expect the house to be painted tomorrow, or how about a beach mural of somesort on the wall!

shari berry bo-berry said...

wow, i am constantly in awe of your amazing talents!!!! I love the quilts!!!

by the way, I have a few extra New Moon tickets for the 12:10am showing if you and Natalie want them again this year!

lauren said...

look at you! when i had talked to you the other night about your crazy crafts that keep on coming.... i had not seen this yet! you are nuts to be doing so much so late in your pregnancy. must be the "nesting" or something? that quilt is awesome good job!

Unknown said...

so cute! I love that beach fabric. That's the same one we (Brent) made Will's crib bumper pads, etc.. out of! Good taste!! :)