Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Baby Bedding


We're getting ready around here. A little over a week to go.

I actually made this crib bumper 3 1/2 years ago for Carter. I had seen a fancy combination like this with different fabrics at Bergstroms and loved it. Of course I wasn't going to spend hundreds of dollars buying one. So I made my own. It was super easy. The most time consuming parts are just measuring your crib out so it fits nicely. If you ever make a bumper for the first time I definitely have learned what works best. I'd be happy to answer any questions if you have them. I've washed this bumper numerous times and it still is holding up great.

With Carter I used a raffia grass table skirt as the crib bed skirt. Only I tied it to the crib with pipe cleaners. You couldn't see them but this time I decided to upgrade. Here's what I did:

I used an old curtain and cut it to the size of the mattress.
I sewed the edges under.
Then, I sewed the raffia table skirt straight on the top. It doesn't cover the back side of your crib but that's against my wall so it didn't matter. This doesn't have to be super straight. Just don't sew over the chunky top part of the skirt...it will break your needle. Lesson learned.

Remove the mattress.
Lay down your bed skirt.
I taped the back side of the skirt to the metal frame to make sure it didn't shift forward.

Tuck the raffia behind the crib slats and pull it all out so it lays on the floor.

Cut a section of the raffia skirt to the proper length. Error on the longer side you can always trim little bits at a time. Then continue by grabbing a cut piece as you go so you can cut the following pieces the same length. (Like when you cut hair.)
And there you have it. A grass bed skirt that you didn't pay $50-$70 for.

As I lowered the crib throughout the babies first year...I just trimmed the raffia again so it always hid what I was storing under the crib.

1 comment:

Ashley said...

Oh my gosh, that is killer cute! I wish I was as crafty as you.