Friday, September 25, 2009

Car Seat Cover

Finished another project...phew!

I was so sick of the gray and black standard graco car seat cover. There is no way I would buy a new one or buy a pricey cover. So, I had always wanted to use this fabric but never knew what for. I ran to the fabric store to get it because I would see it all the time...and it was NO WHERE to be found. I check 4 different times over 2 months. My vision for this fabric seemed like it was too late. Then on a late night trip I decided to search again...and found it after 45 minutes...in the $3 clearance section. Only 2 yards left. I have never been happier to see a piece of fabric in my life.

I made the car seat cover a few weekends ago. I searched for a pattern I liked but to no avail. I turned to the trusty seam ripper and took apart my graco one to make a pattern. Chad may have doubted me for a few minutes when he saw me ripping it apart. It all worked out good and it fits great.

I also took apart the old shade cover and used that as a pattern. The palm tree fabric is an dark olive green...although these pictures may look like a forest green. I couldn't for the life of me find a plain green that matched it exactly for the shade cover. But I compromised. You can't really tell but I used a close green cotton fabric and found a perfect sheer green to put on top to make the perfect color! I'm super happy with the results. Because if the greens were different it would have REALLY bugged me. The shade cover design wasn't my idea. I saw this girls work and loved how it wasn't too matchy matchy.

Tonight, I sewed the orange ric rac fabric neck protectors. That fabric was calling my name! Have I ever mentioned I love ric rac? And I love orange and green together for a boy.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Holy Hannah, Amber! I LOVE your creative brain and your talented hands!

Dejah said...

That looks great!

dana said...

It turned out great! See, it's not that hard to do. I think many people are scared to try this. You did a beautiful job.
- dana

Heidi said...

SOOO totally impressed! way to go! I wanted to do that with our car seat... dont have a sewing machine out here. You are becoming one of my idols Amber!

justnjess said...

once again, amazing! Did you chuck the peg perego car seat, I think justin would kill me if I tore apart that one.

Sheryl said...

oH mY gOoDnEsS!! How totally fab U R!! Wanting to do those gowns!!