Monday, February 2, 2009

First Day of School. First Day of School.

Sound like "Finding Nemo" anyone? We have been living out that movie these last few weeks. Alexis has been counting down the days. And it finally came. TODAY, Alexis started school.
(No she is not wearing lip-stick. Her lips are chapped. Chad asked me as we were leaving. I was shocked he'd think I would do that. Now that I look at the pictures I can see why he asked.)

We haven't put her in pre-school and on certain days that has been hard. But now, she is in Extended Kindergarten. A program our school district offers. Basically, an extra half a year of kindergarten for those kids who just missed the December 2nd Kindergarten cut-off to start last fall. 5 days a week for 4 hours. A big change for us.

A glimpse into the mind of Alexis...
Back in November Alexis learned to ride her bike without training wheels. She did it on her first try. When I told her we were going to try she didn't think she could do it because she "wasn't 6." (She wasn't even 5 yet.) She surprised herself when she could. That sparked a whole new agenda in her book. (FYI: I didn't ad-lib to any of the following!)

"Mom, now that I know how to ride a bike next I want to learn how to whistle."

And whistle she did. She blew air like no other for the next few days till finally she got it down. Once she realized she could do it on cue she says this:

"Mom, now that I know how to whistle next I want to learn how to snap my fingers."


It started with a barely noticeable rubbing of the skin and became a full blown snap within days.

"Mom, now that I know how to snap my fingers next I want to learn how to tie my shoes."


I'm catching on about now and immediately when she asks to learn I show her both ways she can tie her shoes. And it seemed like it went completely over her head. No joke. Teaching her both ways seemed to be a BIG mistake. But we had to leave and that didn't get any more time.

A week later...she comes to my room: "Mom, I did it. I tied my shoes. They look good, huh?" I thought her shoes had to have been tied by an adult. They looked perfect. Way too good for a 5 year old who had just learned. So being the unbelieving Mom I am, I made her untie her shoes and show me. Perfection. Double bunny ears through the hole. Whaa-la! Still in unbelief that this all steamed from those 2 minutes I showed her in the bathroom the previous week...I called family. Did you show Alexis how to tie her shoes? Guess what I found out. No one spent any time showing her. Only my two minute demonstration! Unbelievable. Then this:

"Mom now that I know how to tie my shoes next I want to learn how to not pee in my pull-up at night."

She has the smallest bladder ever. (The girl pee's like every 20 minutes.) Remember we have 4 coin-op washing machines and 2 dryers that are always occupied by the other 37 apartments! So you can imagine changing a wet bed in the middle of the night has NOT been a priority for me. She has slowly in the last month and a half gone from 3 clean nights, to 4, then 5...and now we are on a 2 week clean streak. And this 2 weeks streak has been with NO help on our end by taking her to the bathroom when we go to bed. I am so proud of her.

I never knew what was next on her agenda till she had successfully learned what was currently on the top of her list. She'd learn that, check it off, and move on to the next thing. And all in 2 1/2 months. She is so brilliant. I asked Chad and his Mom if they thought she had a photographic memory when she had just turned 3. She could kick anyone's butt at memory, including mine. It didn't seem right. I am just so amazed at her ambition and drive to learn new things. How the heck can a 5 year old be this disciplined and organized in their thoughts of what is next? I'm not sure, but I love it. It's just so Alexis.

So what's next? I never ask her, she just offers it every time.

"Mom, next I want to learn how to read!"

I think this is one of the biggest reasons why she has been counting down the days till she would start school.

And now...she's in the right place to accomplish that and I'm just waiting to hear what's next.

10 comments:

shari berry bo-berry said...

How fun! I love hearing about amazing kids!!!

Jakob attended extended kindergarten too...it was the best!!! She will absolutely love it!

Now if I could just get Jakob to get night potty-trained...I am jealous of that!!!!

Stephers said...

What a great attitude for life! And what a nice program to have at school there. Both my boys miss the deadline here too.

Ashley said...

Wow, I am impressed, although not surprised. That sounds so Alexis. Good for her!

Brendon said...

Wow! That is one ambitious girl you have. What a cutie.

I love that she is so independent with wanting to learn so much. And that you love her for it. Alexis will go far in life.

Sheryl said...

She is and always has been an amazing girl. I cannot think of any phase of her 5 years that has gone in a "normal" pattern.. YOu are right she is brilliant, and you have every right to celebrate her! Good job momma! OH yeah, daddy too!

Autumn said...

What a sweet post!
I hope her 1st day of school was wonderful!
Crazy how fast they grow up!

Brian and Lindsay Holmstrom said...

Hey Amber! Sorry I saw your blog on Heidi's and thought I would check it out. What a cute story about your little Alexis! I loved it, she is so smart! I hope she had a great first day of school. I have not doubt from this story that she will be reading in no time!

Unknown said...

It's so great when they are so curious.. and amazing when they want to try and do everything. Alexis is brilliantly patient with herself and willing to keep trying until she gets it. That is not common in 4 & 5 year olds!! Way to go!!

Ashlee said...

Oh it's so sad when they go to school!, but fun too. I am sure she will love it!!

Shelly said...

This is random, but Hunter just started in a new school this week, too. We finally moved into our new house. His real teacher is out on family leave and I just found out today that his sub is Chad's Aunt Mrs. Morris). What a small world. By the way, tell Chad thanks for referring us to Brad for our loan. He was awesome!