Friday, February 6, 2009

A Surprise Birthday Party

Last week we threw a huge Surprise 40th Birthday Party for my sister, Melanie. By HUGE I mean: at least 150 people were there.

My other sister, Mindy, had told Melanie she could have a little party Saturday night as a decoy. As time went on we knew that wouldn't work. Even though a BIG party Friday night would shock her...she would be worrying all night if Saturday's party was still going to happen. So I did the dirty work...

"Melanie, we can't have the party Saturday night. We are too busy. We've already told the people you invited that we canceled it. But we can have a dinner with us sister's instead on Friday night."

"Ok. I love you, Amber."


I felt so sad for her. But knew it was the only way to make Friday night enjoyable for her. I thought if she could process everything like we do she might be thinking, "I'll say I love you...but really I'd like to sock you one." Fortunately for me, she doesn't think like that.
THE PARTY:
Guest ArrivalThe guest had to follow a three step process to enter the party.
1. Signing up for a time to call Melanie on her Birthday that Sunday. The one and only thing she wants on her Birthday is phone calls. She had 80 people already filled in. The calls started at 7am and continued till 9:45pm. People could sign up every 5 minutes. Only a break for church. She didn't want any bathroom or food breaks. She ended up having over 120 people call.

2. Writing down their favorite memory of Melanie. I am in the process of making a snapfish book for her to keep so she can read about what everyone loves about her.

3. Writing their birthday and name on a notecard for a game.

The FOOD...
It was oh so good!

Props to my sister, Jillyn. The deal finder. She called a ton of El Pollo Loco's and got these taco shells for only 27 cents a piece. We supplied 10 people with bags of chicken and salsa to cook in their crock pot. And had all the toppings for a Taco Salad. Melanie's favorite. My mom's friends were so helpful they cut all the fresh fruit and kept it stocked.

The BIG Surprise...

Processing...

still processing...

Making a run for someone...

Here's who she was running to. My brother, Greg and his wife had flown in last minute. Surprising all of us.

The Entertainment:
First, a 20 minute slide show of Melanie's life from birth to now.
The pictures were set to her favorite show tunes: Lavern & Shirley, The Brady Bunch, Partridge Family and Facts of Life. Her face was so priceless when each song came on.
Next: A quiz on "How well do you know Melanie?" Melanie got to answer each question for everyone.

This was seriously HILARIOUS. With questions like this one:

What was Melanie's first job?
a. Carl's Jr.
b. Taco Bell
c. DI
d. Hooters

Then, we used the Birthday note cards people filled out when they came in the door. We quizzed Melanie on everyone's birthdays. She knows like a million! We used to do this at the dinner table. We'd pull out the stake directory as kids and quiz her and she'd get almost every one with no hesitation.

She got a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup for every correct birthday. But she got one taken away for each wrong one too. When she got one wrong my sister, Jillyn, was cracking everyone up. Jillyn would say stuff like this: "Uh, this is getting awkward, Melanie."

The Group Gift:

Mindy came up with the best idea ever. To buy an Avocado Tree for Melanie to fulfill her love of avocados. People could donate to the tree in a box as they walked in. Then they got to hang a paper avocado on the tree with their name on it.

So cute, huh? I used my trusty Cricut to cut tons of ovals out of green card stock.

Of course their was cake and ice cream.


I was in charge of decorations and the slide show. Luckily, I had my friend, Jillonnie, help me with the slide show.

Once again, I depended on my cricut for this sign. Her name is supposed to look like it's on records for our "Retro" look. I even thought ahead and hung them on wires so they stayed facing forward so you could always read her name.

The tables: I loved how the tables looked. We borrowed white table clothes and yellow, pink and turquoise overlays from friends. I was going for a "retro kitchen" look. My sister's just smile and nod because they think I always know what I'm talking about.

The centerpeices: Susan Whitney ordered these great pictures of all of Melanie's favorite TV shows. Mindy's, father-in-law, made the blocks the pictures are in. I put them on checkered scrap booking paper. We had home-made salsa and home-made quacamole in cars. SO CUTE! This was at the end of the night as we were winding down. But you get the idea.


MY FAMILY: We are missing my parents who are on a mission and my oldest brother's family in Idaho.

SISTERS: Jillyn, Mindy, Melanie and me!
Planning this party was one of the most exhausting things I've ever done. Two weeks of running around, emailing, making stuff, putting together 200 pictures of Melanie and a ton of late nights planning it all. But I would do it all over again. Because Melanie is worth every second. We are so blessed to have her as a member of our family. I'm a better person because of her.

Who would have thought this day would have been possible 40 years ago when my mom received Melanie's diagnosis! Doctor's told my parents to institutionalize her. She may never walk or talk. She would be way too difficult to take care of on their own but my parents wouldn't give up. I can't imagine being told that being a mom now. But now, 40 years later: she's proved those Doctor's wrong. Defying everything that was predicted. I was shocked as people flew in, drove from Utah, and many more that wished they could have been at the party. Everyone loves her. I wish I could go back in time and whisper some words of comfort to my mom. Everything would be fine. No one could have ever known how many lives Melanie would touch. There were tears at her party. Lots of them. Friday was a celebration of her. She deserved it.

11 comments:

Autumn said...

What a sweet post and an amazing party you guys threw her, sorry I couldn't go!
Your sister is awesome! I love the memories I have of her especially at Lake Powell and when I use to spend the night as a child! Some reason when I see or talk with Melanie it brings a memory of my dad too, so weird! Thanks for tears as I read this post!!

Stephers said...

What a wonderful celebration! I still remember going to DisneyLand with Melanie and how you pushed her wheelchair up all those hills. You have such a wonderful family, I'm so glad you get to live close to many of them.

shari berry bo-berry said...

AMBER, Thank you so much for all that you guys did to put this party together, and for allowing me to be there to witness it all. I was so overcome with the feeling of genuine, sincere love that was there...it was amazing and I will never forget it! :)

p.s. can I get a copy of that picture of me and Brad?

Jaime said...

You're a great sister!

Ashlee said...

OH I love it!!! So great Amber you are so creative!! I bet that was such a highlight for her. I could barely read it to Leslie without crying.

Baak Talk said...

She is a treasure. But truly, that is what sisters are all about! What an amazing family you are!

Beth said...

What a special, special party. I read it, cried, made Garrett come read it with me, cried again. So neat. You guys put together a party you will remember forever!

Jenni said...

Wow--what a fabulous party! You and your fam are so amazing to throw such a shin-dig...love all the decor too! Darling!!!!!!

Feather Fam. said...

You are amazing sisters. I am sorry I missed the party of the year. My birthday is in April... any way you would go to all the work for me??? ;)
I love Melanie!

Ashley said...

What a beautiful party! Melanie is lucky to have such a wonderful family and so many friends!

Britney and Jaren Jensen said...

Wow, and now I am crying because you guys have the most thoughtful family to plan such wonderful and special meaningful things for Melanie's birthday. I still remember getting to talk to melanie in college when I would call and ask for you or when you would call home and she would ask to talk to me. I love her to death and all the wonderful stories that you always used to share about her. She truly is a miracle and an inspiration, not to mention HILARIOUS!!