Sunday, October 19, 2008

Mud Run

Yesterday, was the big day.Natalie, I told you I should have worn my hot pink underwear and black sports bra! Look how much better the girls behind me in the picture look! :) There's always next time!
The few days prior...there were a lot of changes. Thursday night, Amber's husband, decided not to do it since lots of family were going to be in town. So my friend, Natalie, said she wanted to do it. Then she got sick Friday night. So my wonderful husband took the extra ticket last minute so I wouldn't have to do it alone. (Big thanks to Natalie and Chad's parents for watching our kids and to Amber B. for the ticket.) For those of you who are out of state or unfamiliar with this event...I'll give you the play by play.


4000 people bottle neck in the beginning...so SPRINT. Luckily we started in the front so we didn't get trampled!


Hosed down by fire trucks with FREEZING cold water.

Run through river. Shoes are heavy!


Run through soft sand. (1/2 mile)

Run HILLS. Lots of them. TWO MILES worth of nasty steep dirt hills. Breathe in huge amounts of dusty dirt that gets kicked up. But wait...there's a drink station! Gatorade + dust in throat= flem! Note to self: water from now on!


Obstacles start. I smile! Marines yell at me for smiling! "You smiling...you shouldn't have energy to smile...work harder!"
Climb over 2 walls that dump you into 3 pig smelling mud pits. It smells...but it's so much fun sloshing in the nasty mud.

Swim or run in shoulder high freezing reservoir (200 yards). I enjoyed it making me numb so I couldn't feel the pain from the hills. It was my favorite part...I could run fast in the water and passed a lot of people. Giddy!


Crawl through tunnels. Run 3 more hills. Climb 2 more walls. 3 more mud pits. Run up the "suicide hill." A steep hill with water running down. SLIPPERY! Run another hill.


Crawl under ropes through final mud pit. Another favorite. Everyone was crawling. But I just let my feet float and basically walked with my hands. It was faster.


All the obstacles, started and ended with slippery mud mounds like this one. I did not ease over these. I ran over them and flew in the pits. That's probably why I'm in so much pain. Sprint final leg. I finished in 1 hour and 15 minutes. Which isn't too bad since the fastest girls finished around 1 hour. Chad did awesome, too. I'm so proud of him!

I hated the first 3 miles. I kept telling myself, "I'd rather do 3 sprint triathlons! In a row!" But...the last 3 miles were so incredibly fun. I am in so much pain now. My knees, quads & feet kill. But I am so doing it again. I just have to prepare for the hills a bit better! I'll probably wait till I have another kid to do it again. But when I do buy the tickets, I'll let you all know so you can join in on the fun!

12 comments:

Amanda said...

Where's the picture of you at the end? :)

That looks pretty cool. My husband would be incredibly jealous. Too bad we live on the other side of the country or we would totally join you next time. You did awesome!

Sarah said...

Wow, you guys are tough!

Anonymous said...

I am so jealous. That looks like a ton a fun. You need to get prego ASAP so we can do the mud run next oct.

Autumn said...

How fun and dirty!
Love it!
Let me know next time, we can rename it Mud & Autumn's B-Day run, ha! ha!

ashley g. said...

What a blast! I am very, very jealous. And Chad- you are a rock star for jumping in the morning of!

Way to go- looks like it well worth those nasty first 3 miles.

Ashlee said...

Hey here is mine!

Heidi said...

Oh my gosh! You are a brave woman. I cannot believe you were smiling... You are so tough!

Kristin said...

You are so cool!!! Good for you guys for makin' it through.

Baak Talk said...

You seriously are SHE-RA! I am in awe of all these physical things you do!

Stephers said...

So fun! I second the request for an after picture!

Jana Howard said...

First of all... You guys are amazing. Secondly... I will grow a pair of balls and try to join you next year, because seriously that looks like so much fun!

{autie} said...

ahhh! I want to do it next time!!!