Saturday, April 10, 2010

What I was looking for.

I dropped a baby gift off to a friend this morning before she moved. When I told her I had to sneak out of the house before Chad came over to help them move she said:

"My husband and I were just talking and wondering how many people would show up to help. We thought 3 or 4. We said Chad will probably come. He's the nice one."


I responded, "That's Chad. He's always willing to help everyone."

Then I came home. Chad was getting ready to go, doing some stretches because his back hurt. Finished his stretches, said goodbye and walked out the door with no complaints.

It got me thinking. When I responded to my friend it was like an involuntary response. I had no real feeling behind saying it. It was a matter of fact...that's always how he has been. It made me think back to when my Dad would advise me on what to look for when dating someone. He always stressed "find someone that puts the gospel and church first."

Would you believe I broke up with a guy in college because I wasn't convinced he did that? Because I did. Partly, because I was comparing everyone to Chad. And no one measured up! That's what made it so easy to wait for him for 2 years.

Chad always was "the nice one" from the day I met him when we were 15. (And I was the cranky one...that's what made people so shocked we started dating. But that's besides the point.)

I really wanted what my Dad had told me. I found it young and held onto him. Thank goodness I did. He truly puts our family, the gospel, church...and SERVICE first. I feel so blessed to have him as my husband and father of our children. He sets such a good example for our kids. I hope they recognize it and grow up to be just like him.

I really do love him. He was just what I was looking for.

5 comments:

Ashley said...

That's exactly how Brett is. Always the first one to volunteer and is so happy to do so. Good job Chad. :)

Emily C said...

We really appreciate chads help today. Muchas gracias

Ashlee said...

I think it is so important to let your children know the feeling you have for your spouse. I try to write them down when I think about it.

Sheryl said...

He is a keeper! Love that nephew of mine. He certainly has a good example in his dad!

Unknown said...

We love Chad!! :)