Friday, April 16, 2010

Owen and the Doctor's Office

If you totaled the amount of times we've been to urgent care, our pediatrician's office and talked on the phone with our Pediatrician...I'm sure there would be one for each week since Owen was born.
Photobucket
(Picture taken at the river...not at a Doctor's office)

No Joke. It's been tough. Owen usually has such a happy disposition at the Doctor since he got his hours of screaming in at home. Sometimes it makes me feel like an even more incompetent Mom considering I look like the paranoid Mom who brought in her smiling baby.

This week was no exception to our regularly un-scheduled visits. The Doctor ordered blood work for Owen. Lots of it.

I knew it would be tough. I made sure he was well hydrated before going. The nurses walked me through what would happen and I needed to stay strong and hold him down. What I knew and those nurses didn't know is that Owen would fight even harder than an average 5 month old. It takes both Chad and I holding him down to get ANY medication in Owen's mouth. He's a fighter...that is for sure.

So I was strong. I pinned his legs between mine. Used my left arm to pin his left arm to his side. And used my right arm to pin his right arm fully extended out on the table. I was ready and determined. I had a death grip on him and he wasn't going anywhere.

The nurse talked her baby talk to him as she prepped the area. She was ready too.

She inserted the needle into his arm. I waited. I thought, "It's coming any minute now." I leaned forward to get a better view of Owen's face to see when exactly that ear piercing scream would come. That's when it happened...the shocker of all shockers...

He smiled. Not a little smile...a big cheeky all the gums showing smile.

He looked around the room just taking it all in. Every now and then glancing at each nurse that one by one gathered around watching him...giving them a full blown gummy smile.

"Oh he's perfect!" says one.
"He's so cute!" says another.
"Look at those gorgeous blue eyes!" says yet another.
"Yep, I knew from the moment I saw that Mom bring him in. Just the cutest baby ever. So happy. Adorable. Always smiling." Says the nurse taking his blood.

The needle was in him for a little under 2 minutes. Not a single cry, whine, whimper or sad noise came from him.

I'm not complaining. Who wouldn't want the happy baby that shocks everyone in the lab and smiles the whole time getting his blood drawn.

I'm just saying (and I know he's only 5 months) but does he understand what I say and take pride in making me look like a really looney Mom?

RESULTS: Our Doctor called last night. No allergies. That's good news. This whole dairy/soy thing is temporary, an "intolerance." Hopefully, he will be like most children and outgrow it by the time he's 1. The plan is to stay away from those foods til then. I can do 6 1/2 more months of this, I think!?!

3 comments:

Heidi said...

oh my... look at those eyes!

Breana said...

That is such a gorgeous picture. He is quite a trooper, and so are you!

Jenni said...

Wow--those eyes are gorgeous! Austin had to drink a mineral based formula till he was 1 because of milk and soy allergies...they told me he would probably grow out of it too. At 1 year old I gave him whole milk and never had a problem. He was totally fine, so yes, most do outgrow the intolerance!! Here's to hoping you avoid the dr for a while! =)