Wednesday, April 15, 2009

SERVANT

I drove Alexis to swim team practice yesterday. As I was getting Carter unbuckled from his car seat I noticed his shoes were over on Alexis' side of the car. She had just unbuckled herself so naturally I said...

"Alexis, can you hand me Carter's shoes right there by your feet."


Her hands when straight up to her head. She grabbed both sides of her head and yelled in complete frustration...

"WHY DO I HAVE TO DO EVERYTHING FOR EVERYONE!
I AM A SERVANT!"


My first thought was brief...it was to spank that little girl for being so sassy.

Then I had a better idea...but I couldn't help but bust up laughing wondering where the heck she learned the word "servant" or the meaning of it. School...obviously. I was laughing so hard she pulled the whole, "Stop laughing at me" as she teared up!

So I looked at her very sternly and said...

"Alexis, who makes your lunch EVERYDAY!"


No answer.

"Alexis, do you make your own lunch? NO. I do. I make it everyday because I'm your Mom and I love you. I'm family. Family members help each other. Do you pay me to make you lunch?"

"No."

"Okay then. Once you start paying me to do things for you like making your lunch and washing your hair...then you don't have to help me do things either. But until, then...we help each other because were family."


I was pretty stern in my voice and honestly she just stood wide eyed staring straight at me.

We walked up the walk to the pool area. About 30 feet ahead a mom was holding the gate for us. Not even thinking about the conversation we just had I said,

"Alexis, run up there and hold the gate for us so that Mom doesn't have to."

She did. Immediately. And she ran.

As I walked up through the gate I looked at her to make sure she was going to close it behind us and she had the biggest grin on her face. That's when I realized why she was so quick and I said,

"Why thank you for holding the gate for us family member."

She giggled and that was the end of that.

I'm pretty glad I choose not to spank her. This way seemed pretty effective.

4 comments:

Jenni said...

Seriously, where did she pick up the word "servant"? Who uses that anymore? Too funny! You just never know when a good teaching moment will arise...you're such a good mommy! =)

Ashley said...

I'll have to keep that one in mind. I'm sure I'll have to deal with that in a few years!

Sheryl said...

Good job little mom! I love that you have this place to share your mommying, cuz you do it well!

Jana Howard said...

I love that! These are the things I want to say to my kids! You are so good!