Thursday, April 3, 2008

Easter in Big Bear

The Saturday night before Easter we went to Riverside for Chad's cousins reception and went straight to Chad's Grandma's house in Big Bear to spend Easter Sunday with Chad's family. We've been wanting to go for so long but we've been delayed with illnesses and our busy schedule. However, we did find out that Carter doesn't travel well up the mountain! He kept grabbing his ear so I thought..."give him more to eat and drink to help pop his ears." But I was proved wrong when the crying suddenly turned into screaming and projectile vomit followed! Oops. Chad pulled over...we both walked to Carter's door and checked out the damage and I said, "We gotta keep driving...he will never go back in if we get him out now." So Carter fell asleep in his vomit and we rushed the last 20 minutes or so. Bad parenting or brilliant? I'd like to go with the second. I posted a TON of pictures from our trip so bare with me.
Presenting: Our 2 day Big Bear Vacation
(I guess I felt I needed the big intro since I spent so much time downloading pictures! LOL)

The Easter Bunny brings our summer stuff and a little candy for a few reasons.
1. We have to purchase that stuff anyway...so why not have them get excited about it.
2. I don't like dealing with the tantrums when they want to eat the candy every 2 seconds.
3. Maybe, this should have been number 1...but the Easter bunny knows darn well...
I will eat ALL the candy myself...in one sitting!

Hunting for eggs outside after church.
(By the way: I thoroughly enjoyed my break from my calling...
it was the first since my parents left on their mission in October
and I really enjoyed the stress free Sunday! AHHH!)

Alexis was such a good big sister. When Carter dropped his egg and spilled
his candy she immediately helped him gather it up and she fixed his egg.
If only all the moments with our kids were that rewarding.

Uncle Jake helping Carter get an egg out of the rain gutter. The men, I mean Easter bunny,
hid the eggs in the funniest spots. They picked grass and weeds and put them in piles
covering the eggs on the wide open patio! It cracked us up.

Carter and Uncle Jake

Grandma Knowles, Emily (Chad's sister), Alexis and Carter

The biggest hit...Alexis dollar she had in her special egg.
Rewards usually come in the form of pennies...so she was trilled!

Chad took work off Monday so we could stay and play in Big Bear.

First stop: The Alpine Slides


Carter was screaming "WHEE" the whole way down.
I was surprised he liked it so much because we were going fast.

Somehow Alexis sweet talked her Dad into letting us go twice.
She loved it. She was bummed Chad & Carter beat us down...so she
politely requested to go with Dad the second time. Then when we got to the
top...Carter kept saying..."Dad" because he wanted to go with him again.

Second Stop: Playing in the Snow
Chad showing Alexis how to use the Snow ball maker Grandma
and Grandpa Miller gave us. It works really good in hard snow!

Alexis: "I know, watch Mommy! How come it's not working?"
I'm not sure where she heard about making snow angels but
someone didn't tell her it doesn't work on ice.


Watch your back, Chad!

Carter practicing his pitch. This was his favorite part.

Another brilliant thought by Alexis...
"I know...try and hit my bum bum!"

You asked for it Alexis! Carter was more than happy to try!

Just remember...this was her idea.

"Ah man. It went down my pants!"


Having fun with Dad who's throwing snow balls at their sled.

After a couple hard throws they realized...ducking for cover was a better idea.




Can we guess how this ended?


Oooh!

Yep, Carter sat out the rest of sledding to be a spectator with Dad.

Fearless Alexis...just wanted to keep on going.

We had so much fun and I loved all the pictures so I had to share. It was so nice to
get away from the stress of everyday life and take a break for a day!
If only we could do it more often we'd all be a little more sane.


14 comments:

Feather Fam. said...

How fun is that? Playing with kids in the snow is the BEST! So many fun things to do. You are one smart Easter Bunny!

Sarah said...

Looks like a lot of fun! Yay for breaks from the normal everyday stuff!

ashley g. said...

You guys had one great weekend. And yes- I would agree with you on that move: BRILLIANT! Poor little guy... but then again- they don't know the difference. What an awesome break!

Amanda said...

Your kids are soooo... cute! It looks like you had a lot of fun on your trip. I'm glad you got a break from your busy calling.

The Favorite said...

Glad to see that you had some fun in the snow! Sorry about the car ride- that's NO fun.

I am REALLY interested in using your Jonah and the Whale idea for our primary. Was it really hard to do? Could you please email me details and let me know: elizadamstedt@gmail.com
THANKS!

Shelly said...

If it's any consolation, I would have done the smae thing witht he car sickness. Better to get it over and clean it up when it's done.

Your kids are so dang cute, by the way!

shari berry bo-berry said...

GREAT pics!!!!!!!!!!!

Beth said...

Cute, cute, cute pictures!!! Your kids are adorable! I totally agree with giving them their necessities as gifts. Every V-Day our kids get swimsuits. . . . because they need them a couple months later anyway! They love it though! SO FUN!

Nicole said...

what a fun post! I love it. Looks like you had a wonderful time.

Heidi said...

How fun! Matt is so excited to take Jackson down some slopes in the winter. Im not... we will see how it all goes when that time comes!

Britney and Jaren Jensen said...

Big bear looks like fun! When we went there last, we were evacuated b/c of a forest fire. That alpine slide is a blast!

Brian said...

Hello...lots of photos. Good shots though. Interestingly, we used to vacation in Big Bear as kids, and I remember that Alpine Slide. Man, it's been years.

Britni and Owen said...

Oh my gosh, looks like so much fun! I need to hang out more with you!

Britni and Owen said...

Oh my gosh, looks like so much fun! I need to hang out more with you!