Monday, April 14, 2008

Happy Birthday Carter

Carter's turned TWO on the 5th. We were going to have his party on his birthday but as I was calling friends the day before finalizing some things...Carter woke up early from his nap with a fever, runny nose, cough, and pink eye...and he was cranky! When it rains it pours! So we had his party this last Saturday and it was so much fun.

The girls at my work showed me this cute party idea in the new Family Fun magazine. It is awesome. So everything I did was from there. Since Chad's parent's just moved they already had large and small boxes so this party was perfect. We had 3 different activities: painting "cardboard box" houses, topple the tower with a destruction ball/tennis ball on a string and a HOMEMADE "cone-struction" pinata. The pinata really didn't hold up well...but if I had to do it again I definitely know where it needed reinforcement. Instead of hitting the pinata the kids pulled strings of "caution" tape from the bottom. One of the pieces was duct taped on the inside to the trap door so when a kid pulled that one it opened releasing the surprises inside. I figured since I was going to buy chips anyway why not put those in the pinata. The kids were totally excited and never knew the alternative choice! We had a BBQ so we could all talk and enjoy the incredibly warm Saturday. It was a blast.

And the no bake cake was so fun to make. It was made with a pre-made pound cake, donuts, M&M's, gum drops, kit kat, twix, yellow rainbow blast twizzlers. The dirt is crushed oreo. I decided to make cupcakes too to make it easier for the kids to grab some. I absolutely loved it and Carter did too!

I made a video with all the pictures. So enjoy! Oh...and read Carter's light blue shirt.
Thanks to Aunt Jana who couldn't resist getting him this shirt last Christmas.
It couldn't have been more perfect.

13 comments:

Britney and Jaren Jensen said...

totally cute cake AMby pamby! I'm going to hire you for my next cake making :) You are such a cute mom!

Kristin said...

So cute, Amber! (I figured out the whole blog thing...thanks for your help!)

Autumn said...

THAT CAKE (CUPCAKES) IS AWESOME! HOW DID YOU PUT THE PICTURES IN A VIDEO FORMAT? I SO NEED HELP IN THE BLOGGER WORLD. ONLY KNOW THE VERY BASICS!!

Heidi said...

I love the cake and cupcakes... SO creative! Love it!

Beth said...

Cutest cake ever!! Cute party! My cakes I attempt at making are barely discernable!

Katie Jean said...

i love it amber! youre always so creative. great job! i cant believe how big carter is getting. he is such a little man. we miss u guys and cant wait to see you. charlie wants to meet his cousins! and uncle and aunt of course :)

Feather Fam. said...

Such a creative mom...I want you to plan my parties!

Nicole said...

Holy cow...that is so cute! I can't wait for Luke to have a birthday so I can do this!!! Thanks for the ideas!

ashley g. said...

Happy Brthday to you, Carter! Isn't pink eye an absolute bummer? Sorry you had to deal with it.

And yes- those cupcakes put you in the same category as Martha Stewart. Awesome!

Sarah said...

So cute! Happy belated birthday Carter! I love the cake/cupcakes very creative.

Evaly said...

Happy Birthday Carter! Darling cake!

Jillonnie said...

too cute!!!! email me the pictures!!!

Anonymous said...

Bummer that we missed the yummy cupcakes! I loved that idea for a birthday party. You are so creative!