Sunday, April 20, 2008

Biking to Balboa Island

I worked on Saturday for my sister and when I came home I decided we were going to do something fun as a family. I somehow talked Chad into taking the kids on a long bike ride to Balboa Island about 9 miles from our apartment. Yep...18 miles total. Let me explain...there is history behind my insanity. I remember as a little girl going on this bike ride with my dad. We would ride to balboa and get lunch there or a frozen banana. Doing this with my family brought back great memories. Part of the reason why Chad gave in was my convincing of how much I loved doing this with my Dad.

As we were making the ride back Alexis kept saying, "Mommy, I'm thirsty!"
Selfishly, I would always respond..."I'll give you the water in a little bit." She has a small bladder and I'm not a fan of the public beach bathrooms...with no hand soap.

Then I had a flashback! I so remember saying that to my Dad on this same bike ride...although...he was a little more creative with his excuse not to give me a drink. He would always respond, "Nice to meet you thirsty" or "Really, I thought I named you Amber." It just brought a smile to my face even though his response drove me nuts. The funny thing is...I toiled with saying the same thing back to her.

It was a pretty day and even thought it was a long ride...it was all on the boardwalk along the beach. So the kids were never bored. We played "I spy" the whole way home and the kids were cracking us up. They just had those goofy laughs every time Chad and I finally guessed what they were looking at.

Carter taking his nap on the way there.

Ahh...we made it. Little did we know the ride back was the hardest part.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

Ahh... family memories. So much fun and so precious. It is funny how things that bothered us about our parents somehow we do some of them too.

Heidi said...

so fun to make your own family traditions, from your old memories of what you did. I just wish we lived out there to be able to continue with some of them.

Beth said...

That is so fun!!! I miss living by the beach! I remember rollerblading down along the boardwalk! That is such a fun memory with your dad!

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Dieta, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://dieta-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.