Thursday, April 10, 2008

Have things changed?

I absolutely love getting together with my old college roommates. We had the time of our lives when we were at BYU and it was because we stuck together. There were 12 of us that were determined to find an apartment that suited everyone and one that would put us next door to each other. It may have forced us to do some research but we finally found "The Elms." And how will we ever forget it. The carpets may have made our feet black but where we lived didn't matter...as long as we were together. Sometimes I think about random stories and I can't help but laugh out loud. Sometimes I laugh because we had so much fun and other times I think...we were so naive (like when we danced to "I like big butts!" in our ward talent show!...Heather is with me on this one)
Pictured: Amanda, Britney, me and Heather

Anyways, Heather lives in northern California and came to Disneyland and the Beach with her husband's family and so we were able to get together last night. Brit drove down from LA and Amanda lives close by. It was so nice to sit and talk. The day worked out perfect...because I worked till 5:30...but Amanda just happened to be my last patient of the day and that was scheduled 6 months ago.

When the night started out I wondered how our kids would interact and naturally I wondered if my kids were going to act up and make a scene. For some reason, I feared their kids would be perfectly behaved and they would all watch me tell my kids "No" every two seconds. Immediately, all the kids migrated to the kids room to play and starting pushing and crying. So, I started disciplining my kids thinking, "my thought's might just be right on." Brit talked some sense into me and told me not to do anything since they were all pushing/fighting/playing and let them duke it out. And we soon realized all of our kids were pretty tough...no one was gonna let anyone push them around.
Pictured: Amanda, Britney (her 3 kids: Clara, Vivi, & Dallin),
Me (Carter and Alexis) Heather (Her two kids: Lexi and Kindry)

In the end...the kids all hit it off really well. They played and jumped on the bunk beds all night. It's amazed me how the 3 four year olds hit it off. They are at such a fun age where they love to play make believe and giggle...and scream. And the best part of the whole night...was that none of us have really changed. Maybe our hair cuts and having kids. It just amazes me that you can go so long between seeing some people but the minute you get together...even 2-3 kids later...we are still the same and we interact with each other the same. I love it. I miss these girls and the rest of my roommates and to tell you the truth...if we all lived by each other now I know our parenting styles and everything would match up pretty evenly because we were all so similar! Thanks Heather for the visit...and for giving us a reason to have a night for us...and having your husband and Luke manage the kids which they were really good at! And Amanda...I hope our kids didn't overdose your little chiwawa on doggy treats...thank him for this picture...because I think it's the only way we could get all the kids in.

7 comments:

Amanda said...

So fun!!! I sure miss all of you. If any of yous come to Utah this summer I want to see you, as we will be moving back east at the end of the summer. You all look amazing!

Stephers said...

Hi Amber! This is Stephanie. I was going to call you when we were last in Cali but Kiersten got sick and we were stuck inside for most of our trip. It looks like you guys had a fun time!

Jenni said...

SO JEALOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Glad you girls had a fun night...you all look beautiful!

Anonymous said...

That is super fun to have a reunion like that with all your roomies.

Amber Robbins said...

I wish I could have been there! I'm very jealous of your little reunion! Don't you think we all should plan our own Elm's Girls Reunion?? Let's meet in Hawaii! I have to say I'm totally with you on the Big Butts thing. We were so dumb! Miss all of you!

Britney and Jaren Jensen said...

Thanks for letting us crash at your place Amber it was so much fun! I just love getting together with you and hope we can make a Vegas trip work out! p.s. Clara is still asking why we didn't go swimming :) Oh and, I don't see anything wrong with dancing to Big Butt's, the only real problem with that talent show was that you and I didn't show case our duet dance (which I"m sure you still totally remember) wearing our crazy 80's outfits, high pony tails & bright orange lipstick! :) That is a great memory...you know I'm still debating permanent lipstick in that shade to spice up my marriage. You know Jaren loved that color!!! lol
Adios mi amigas. Es muy divertida con tu y comida de pizza es muy bueno. Lo siento chowing tres de pizzas! Be mo rapido el LUke if you want comida next time. Mucho ninas es loco, pero fantastico noche. That's just a little bit of my spanish that slipped out, thanks to Ryan's inspiration. Sometimes I hate that I am getting to be so bilingual living in L.A. What a great skill to have!

Britney and Jaren Jensen said...

oh and hey amber robbins why don't you let me into your blog.. I promise I won't leave crazy spanish messages :) itybitybrity@gmail.com

And Heather, why don't you get a blog already!