Sunday, January 23, 2011

Our New Puppy

Meet Roxy.

Chad had been bugging me for months to get a dog. I finally agreed to looking online. We were originally looking at black labs...but they were sooo expensive. I've always loved Weimarainers so naturally I was looking at them too not thinking Chad would agree to getting one. They are family/hunting dogs just like labs but can be a little more difficult to train. So, when Chad said, "Let's go see them" I was shocked. I knew 2 things: 1) If Chad liked them...we'd come home with one and 2) If I liked what the parents looked like...we'd come home with one. I've seen some weird looking weimarainers so I wanted to see what the parents looked like. Fortunately, they were on site.

We surprised the kids after school, packed a lunch and told them where we were heading. We wanted a girl dog so out of 3 liters (about 15 puppies total)...there were 4 girls all very different. A red (more like a chestnut color), a black, a charcoal gray and a tradition light gray. They were all beautiful. Alexis wanted the black one. I wanted the runt charcoal gray one initially. As we spent time with them we fell in love with the older light gray one and finally came to the conclusion she was the right one for us! She wasn't frightened of us but not overly playful. We took her home that day...1 week before Thanksgiving. She's been lots of fun but lots of work too. Just in time for the holidays.

I will say this...if you want to get to know the people in the neighborhood better...get a dog. You can walk your kids to the park...and people will say hi. But if you have a dog & kids...people think you are the bomb and stop and talk to you forever. I know A LOT more people around here because of Roxy. It was shocking but in a good way.

I need to take more pictures of her too. She's grown a lot since this one was taken.

1 comment:

Feather Fam. said...

All I can see here are HUGE paws!