Monday, June 8, 2009

Kids Coloring Corner

I finally finished my first major project of the year. It's about time. I've wanted to do something like this since we moved in this apartment a little over 2 years ago. I've had this vision (drawn out and all) since October!
Table + 2 Chairs: made by Chad's Uncle when Alexis was born. We had painted it a deep red and it stayed that way till I got this vision last fall. The green looks so bright in these pictures but it's really a pretty pear green...not so lime.
Shelf: a white desk hutch I had bought at Down East before I got married. It was stained and chipped and was needing a change. It's great for holding stickers, glue sticks and scissors!


Wooden letters: From wal-mart. They were the perfect size and they stand on their own. I painted them brown and mod-podged cute scrapbooking paper to the front of each letter.


Art wire: Picture wire from wal-mart hooked and twisted around two nails.
Knobs: Drawer handles from ikea. They are super cheap. I just painted them brown and had Chad drill a hole in the inside to fit over the back end of the nail that is in the wall. That way I can take it off to tighten the wire still if needed.
Clothespins: Painted brown and mod-podged with scrapbook paper.


Hanging caddies and bar: From ikea. They are cheap too. But they have even cheaper ones...I just liked the sturdiness of these. Plus, I like that the kids can take them off and the caddies stand up if they want to color with them outside. I used my glue gun to embellish them with ribbon and ric-rac. I figured out how to cut vinyl on my cricut so those letters are my first attempt with vinyl. LOVE IT!
Wooden Palm Tree's: They are from Michaels for like 50 cents. Already painted and all. I wanted something to cover up the unsightly nails that screw in the black bar.

The coloring corner is in our family room right were I can seem them. No pens in the bedroom. It get's used numerous times in the day. It's neat and the kids know how to clean it all up easily.

12 comments:

Jenni said...

That is ADORABLE!!!!!!!! I LOVE it! That shelf rocks...seriously, so cute! You're so crafty, twinner!!!

shari berry bo-berry said...

so would it be really lame if I rip off your idea? I LOVE IT! LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE It. did I mention I love it? :)

you are a rockstar and i admire your craftiness!!!!!!!!

Deneal said...

I'm a firm believer in kids having a crafting place of their own, and the one you created is stinkin' cute! Nice job. I think the shelf is my favorite part.

shari berry bo-berry said...

are you in charge of the kids for the 4th of July show??

since the flyer said ages 6-106 I assumed that meant no sunbeam age kids this year. and since I assumed that was the case, which meant Joshy (4) couldn't perform in it, then I decided not to put jakob (6) in it either.

will you let me know if it's too late for them to join in? thanks!

Ashlee said...

Okay this just puts you over the top . . .But honestly if I did this Ben would have the pens all over the wall.

Baak Talk said...

Is there anything you can't do Amber?

Adoreable!

Unknown said...

Once again the Craft Queen has outdone herself!! VERY CUTE!!

Sheryl said...

You have mad skills girl! I love it!

The Favorite said...

That looks amazing and so "create"-ive. I love it!

Katie Jean said...

DANG GIRL,you got mad talent! it looks way cute! good job

Kristin said...

It is SO cute, Amber.

Matt and Mel Odell said...

What a good idea, I love that you envisioned it and made it happen. Sooo cute!!