Saturday, September 6, 2008

"People don't do that anymore, Amber!" says my sister

So, we go to Alexis' first soccer meeting a week ago. They've decided to do her age group different this year and make it only teams of 5. And while in attendance I realized something about myself: My brain doesn't send signals to my arms fast enough. The coach says, "we can order the banner or if someone wants to make it they can." What happens? My arm flies up faster than I thought possible. Then I react and my face showed it like: "Amber, what the heck did you just do!" But somehow, I decide...I want to do this. Because I get my kicks off of doing crafts. After I'm finished, I wonder if the millions of "don't touch, get back, Mommy's busy" were really worth it. Unfortunately, this should have only taken a day or two...but I worked two days in the middle. And I don't put things away mid-project so my kids got a lot of "don't touches" this week. But here's the finished product for my first soccer banner:
I made the whole thing out of felt. I cut out the letters and the girls on my cricut (the new paper dolls cartridge that I absolutely love) I had to cut it out on the paper...then I pinned it with sewing pins like a pattern on the felt and hand cut everything. I spray painted white behind the girls so their uniforms would stand out. I used ribbon for the bows. The soccer ball is all me. I know...I'm good. Just kidding. Their names were lots of fun to do. I used iron on paper to get the cute writing in black...then I used glitter glue to go over the wand and names! I am fully aware now...that the norm is now to order the airbrushed banners. But still...it was fun and I would definitely do it again. Besides, it was less than half the price than ordering it. My theory has always been..."Oh, I can make it for less!"
And here's my daughter who couldn't be more thrilled about starting soccer, her PINK uniform, and her team name "Pinkalicious" after her favorite book! (If you have daughters and you've never read it...go get it at the library. It's darling!)

21 comments:

Autumn said...

Okay all I can say is DAMM THAT IS REALLY GOOD!
I can't even visual something like that! Oh I wish I was a crafty mom and that I enjoyed it, too stressful!!
You really did AWESOME!
Layne also loves Pinkalicious. We got Purplelicious this summer, really cute too!

Autumn said...

P.S.- Tell your sis more people should do it that way! Save it and hang on her wall, too cute!
Was that Jillyn saying that? Ha! Ha!

Ashley said...

Cute! You must have some serious crafting materials to be able to do something that adorable. And I can't believe that you were able to do it with two mobile children. I can hardly get anything done with a 5 month old and a cat! (The cat poses the biggest problem.)

Stephers said...

Looks great! Let me know if you want new Cricut stuff, I can give you the friends and family discount :-)

Baak Talk said...

I've seen a LOT of banners homemade and otherwise during my soccer mom experience (of 8 years)... It turned DARLING!!

Anonymous said...

that is SOOO cute amber! those pictures are my favorites of alexis :0)

Sheryl said...

Miss Alexis is Pinkalicious for sure! Great job on the banner momma! I have a few under my belt in the felt banner days. You rocked it again!

Evaly said...

Adorable! We'll have to check out that book- I've never heard of it, but I'm sure McKell would love it.

Rachel said...

Wow- you are amazing! Seriously Amber, I am so impressed. You Millers can do ANYTHING!!!

Jillonnie said...

Too cute!!! Great job on the banner!!!! So you stop being a mom for a few days... after the banner was done you became mom of the year!!! And the "don't touch it rule" still applies to the banner, right? My kids never get to touch my crafts even when I'm done, it becomes sad when the craft was really for them, oh well!

Sarah said...

Wow! You are amazing!

Nicole said...

Whatever, Amber! I cannot believe you made that. It makes me shrink in shame. I'm trying to knit a stupid baby hat and all I can do is cast on, restart, cast on, restart.....your creativity kills me.

ashley g. said...

Impressive! Are you Martha Stewart or just some other freakishly creative person?? All I can say is WOW!! Great work!

Dixons said...

Hey Miss Martha Stewart! You are crazy!! (But it's adorable!) You put our highschool football signs to shame, that's for sure!

justnjess said...

what can I say. I dont think I will be volunteering for a soccer banner anytime soon. But since I dont blog nobody would see how ugly it is. Is there anything you dont do? So you love the paperdolls eh? I will have to check it out.

Jaime said...

oh my crafty friend! pretty impressive. i am actually second guessing my craftiness now. why must you brag?

Anonymous said...

wow! I am incredibly impressed, not by just your fabulous skills, but your willingness to do it.

Brendon said...

Wow...you are good. That's incredible. Not only talent, but also patience like that is hard to come by.

Jenni said...

Oh my gosh, Martha Stewart, move over!!!!!!!! Seriously, that must have taken every second of four days...it looks AWESOME!!!! I totally understand that hand to brain disfunction...I have it too and it costs me many late nights! Love ya crafty twin!

Heidi said...

You are so good. I actually clicked on the picture, and you are GOOD! thats a lot of work. Im sure I will attempt something like that when jackson is on a team!

Unknown said...

couldn't dream it, couldn't execute it! I grovel at your feet of craftiness....