Friday, August 22, 2008

Travels to Utah

On our way to Utah, Alexis said some pretty funny things.

Chad: I'm going to run into 7-11 and get a drink.
Amber: Can you get me one too?
Alexis: Daddy, can you get me a slurpee?
Chad: Sure.
Alexis: Can I come in?
Chad: No.
Alexis: That's okay. I'll just tell you what colors I want. I want red, pink and blue. And if they don't have pink...just get red and blue and if they don't have red...
Chad: ...then just get pink and blue. And if they don't have pink and blue...just get red. And if they don't have blue...get pink and red. (laughter)....I got it. (he just about shuts the car door and he hears this...)
Alexis: Wait, daddy. If they don't have pink, red or blue....you can just get me a treat instead!

Driving through the mountain pass (the gorge) between Vegas and St. George at dark.

Amber: Look at the mountains, Alexis. Aren't they pretty?
Alexis: They look scary. I think there are snakes and spiders that are going to bite us.
Amber: Alexis, we are in the car. If there were snakes and spiders they couldn't even get us. We are going too fast.
Alexis: Yeah, but if we got out of the car they would.
Amber: If we mind our own business and leave them alone they won't bite us.
Alexis: Mom, when we saw the spider on the boat at the river ...were we DOING our own business?


After arriving at my Grandparents house in St. George to spend the night we put the kids to bed. They were half asleep because of the transfer from the car. They were still in bed while Chad and I went to watch the Olympics and get some ice cream. The kids were on the other side of the house and could not hear us. After I finished the ice cream I went to check on the kids.

Amber: Carter, lay on your pillow. (they were in bed but definitely not wanting to fall asleep)
Alexis: I smell something.
Amber: Oh yeah.
Alexis: Yeah. Let me smell your breath.
Amber: (confused, but for some reason blew out some air)
Alexis: Yep. I smell ice cream.
Amber: Really?
Alexis: Do you have ice cream?
Amber: NOPE.
(come on....I didn't have ice cream right then. The question was "do you" not "did you.")

The next day in the car I was telling Chad the story and Alexis chimes in.
Alexis: Yeah, daddy. I knew mommy was lying. I knew she had green ice cream.

What in the world. How does a four year old already recognize the smell of ice cream on someone's breath...and what flavor nonetheless. That is crazy. If it were my mom or sister who always keep their freezer stalked with mint chocolate chip I would understand. But we rarely have it.

6 comments:

Sheryl said...

I love your Alexisisms they make me smile and want to return to those days. There is just nothing like a bright and beautiful baby! Enjoy!

Ashley said...

That's hilarious. I don't know that I ever would have been able to smell mint ice cream on someone's breath.

Stephers said...

My kids smell treats I eat all the time! I think it's a special kid power. I know vacation time is short with family, but if you have time give me a call and I'll meet you somewhere. Have fun!

ashley g. said...

I thought of the boat story as well with her mountain comment. Do you blame the poor girl? She is too smart for her own good (or yours...)!

And I've decided that Mom's don't have to share their ice cream. We've shared everything else with our children. Save the ice cream for yourself.

Nicole said...

Hey! Bummer we didn't cross paths in Utah. I've been out of the loop, so just caught up on your blog. I could give you an avenue to check out for insurance if you're interested. Have you ever looked into HSA's? You have to have the right kind of insurance, but you should be able to qualify for a high premium, low deductible insurance and then use the HSA to pay medical expenses....at least it's tax free and you can save a ton of money that way. If Barrett ever does a business, I think that's the avenue we'll take. GOOD LUCK!!!

And PS...I never share my ice cream. And my kids can smell chocolate from a MILE away. I have passes some skillz to my chillun's, that's for sure..

Heidi said...

I love it that you write all about what your kids say. I really should do the same thing (when that day comes). It was nice seeing you all!