Thursday, September 25, 2008

All Girl. All Boy.

Don't you hate when you go out with your kids and you feel like everyone's eyes are on you. Well, actually you don't just feel it, you know it because you looked up and everyone is staring at your kids laughing...OUT LOUD!

After Alexis' soccer game last week we were waiting for our food at IN N OUT just sitting quietly. When Alexis' all of sudden desperately needs her pink jacket. I handed her the jacket thinking her desperation was her starting to feel cold after running for an hour. Nope, she reaches in the pocket of her jacket she had brought for the game...and proceeds to pull out 3 things.

1. Her pretend 3 way compact ("blush,eye shadow & nail polish in one" according to Alexis)
2. Her pretend lip-stick
3. A beaded dress-up necklace.

I was still in shock that she packed these things in her jacket, when she accessorizes with the necklace and looks in the mirror of the compact literally doing her make-up in the middle of the restaurant. It would be no big deal if she wasn't so infatuated with herself in the mirror. Admiring herself at all different angles adding "pretend make-up" where needed. The ironic part was that she was still in her whole soccer get-up! Cleats, shin guards and all! She was seriously so red faced and sweaty but continued on not acknowledging anyone was around us. The closest people to us were giggling.

Then Carter starts pulling the straw of his drink up and down making the most obnoxious squeaking noise...NON-STOP. So now the entire restaurant is looking at us thanks to Carter's noise. Then everyone starts laughing when they see my kids: My boy was making use of what he had at his fingertips. It wasn't the intended purpose but to him it was great entertainment. And my daughter so into looking at herself in the mirror and doing her "make-up" she wouldn't notice if the place caught fire...I BURY my face in my hands in embarrassment. Chad walks over. "Carter stop it." "Alexis...Amber where did she get those things?"

Then, I started to laugh. Why should I be embarrassed? Why is it my natural tendency to be embarrassed when my kids make us the center of attention? They weren't doing anything wrong. And no one was laughing at us in annoyance...just laughing at my kids, in a good way...I think.

Alexis...ALL GIRL. Carter...ALL BOY!

Why can't I just laugh with everyone else to begin with?
Why do I have to be embarrassed first. It was actually kind of cute. And I finally realized that!
But, please, tell me it's normal to be paranoid initially.

3 comments:

Ashley said...

It's normal. I would be embarrassed first too. I'm looking forward to the time when Kennedy is old enough to really embarrass me in public. It will make for some great stories.

Autumn said...

Funny and so true on how different boys & girls are!
Just telling someone today at our soccer game about your cute banner! I hope you frame it and hang it in Alexis's room, if not, we will take it, ha! ha!

Rachel said...

I'm embarrassed by my kids all the time. It's totally normal! What a cute story!