Sunday, March 16, 2008

Jonah and the Whale

A few weeks ago we had such a fun sharing time lesson. My sister-in-law did this in her ward and let me borrow it. It was so fun and I know the kids are going to remember this experience forever. So we told the story of Jonah and the Whale...and when it came time to talk about Jonah being swallowed by the whale...we all got swallowed too. We told them about what happened next once we were inside. Only two kids were too scared to go in. It was sooo dark inside...my flash on my camera obviously takes that away. When Jonah got spit out...we did too. I loved doing something fun and different. I'm sure you can imagine what you'd think if your kids came home and told you they got swallowed by a big whale like Jonah. The parents that mentioned something to me did so thinking their kid was making stuff up. It was great.

Alexis and Carter outside the whale (we took pictures a different day). The whale is made of two black tarps taped with black tape on the inside and formed into a shaped of a whale. The mouth is gray duck tape. And it blows up like a bounce house would with a fan in the tail. The kids entered in through the gill of the whale next to Alexis' left shoulder!

It was surprisingly large inside. It could have fit 40 kids inside. Our 30 junior primary kids only took up 1/2 of it.

A view inside the whale...the tail end. An an old school house fan did the trick to inflate it and keep it inflated!

The mouth end of the whale. You can see the opening through the side where the kids go in and out. After we were done the teachers said..."How are you gonna out due that?" My answer: "I'm not and I'm okay with that!"

9 comments:

Autumn said...

I remember Christian telling me about it and I had no clue what he was talking about! Totally cute and creative!

ashley g. said...

OK- you are quite possibly the coolest Primary Person ever. That is the coolest thing I have ever seen and I think I'll remember them too.

You, my dear, are an over-achiever!! I am totally jealous of your talent! Those are some lucky primary kids.

Beth said...

That is the cutest thing ever!!! I love it!!

Jenny J said...

and that would be why you are primary president...(you are, aren't you?) good idea.

Sarah said...

Wow that is amazing! What a great idea. No wonder you are in primary.

Nicole said...

Holy cow! I can't believe you did that! That's incredible. I don't know if I'd have the guts to pull that off.

Evaly said...

How can I borrow that whale? I MUST do that sharing time for our ward! That is so cute! Seriously, email me please:
photographybyevaly@gmail.com
Thanks!

Heidi said...

How cool is that! so creative! I love it. I still have yet to serve in the primary but im sure its so fun to make the scripture stories come alive!

The Favorite said...

That is the coolest primary prop I have ever seen! I'm trying to figure out how to get one here so we can sure it in our sharing time.