Thursday, March 6, 2008

Crazy Day

Yesterday was the busiest day! I worked all day with a 15 minute lunch break. When I came home at 6pm I had 15 minutes to get dinner together. (Love the crock pot!) By choice I went to my favorite class at the gym. Then I came home and had 15 minutes to eat and I was off to my Presidency meeting. It was 7am-9pm non-stop! But I have to share a few things with you. I love my profession because I can talk and talk and talk! However, sometimes I wish my patients could talk more because they have the most interesting stories!

One lady was asking me how my kids were and kept telling me how lucky I was to have kids so young and I should keep having them young. I was pretty surprised seeing as most people react the opposite to having children at a young age. Anyways, she had a thick accent so it was hard to understand what she was saying. But finally I realized she was telling me how she had her son when she was pretty old and it was no good. Then she proceeded to tell me how she had to have an abortion with her second because she was only allowed one child. Of course, I've heard you are only allowed to have one child in China but it never hit an emotional cord till I spoke with this lady. I just couldn't imagine having that freedom taken away from me. Talking to her made me so grateful that I live in a country that gives me the freedom to make my own decisions especially when it comes to how many kids I want.

Then I was talking to another guy and he races cars. He actually drove the main red car in the "Duke's of Hazzard" movie. He was the stunt driver and they inserted the actors faces digitally! His stories are crazy! But last year around this time he was sponsored to be the first person to drive a truck and do a full back flip in the air in the x-games. He was doing his practice runs right before Christmas. I thought I'd link these you-tube videos of him so you could see for yourself. I'll tell you what happened after...

First Practice Run:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j31VRT4witQ

Second Practice Run: (going a little faster...according to the driver)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w69nF1AFnbw

So, it took one hour for the jaws of life to get him out. He broke his back and came close to becoming paralyzed. Instead of competing in the x-games he spent Christmas and New Years in the hospital. I said, "Your gonna quit now, right!" But I don't think that's ever gonna happen. He's pretty determined. So watch the x-games at the end of the year!

So, bottom line. I'm grateful for my family, kids, freedoms and my oh so busy but "ordinary" life! Because I take it for granted too often.

2 comments:

Feather Fam. said...

Amber it makes me sooo happy that you love what you do! I know you are good at it too because I can reflect back to many years ago and going to school with you while you frantically took pictures of my teeth! Eyes watering and everything. I knew from that slightly painful experience that one day you would be the best hygienist around! And look, I was right! Hahaah! My mom is still saying you Miller girls are the best. Too bad it is such a far drive for me to come have you check out the crevices of my mouth. Gotta love ya!

Jenni said...

holy craziness! We are indeed lucky!
Josh is the opposite..he's glad his patients can't talk much..he's not a chit-chatter like us girls!!!