Thursday, March 4, 2010

The Diagnosis: MSPI

What is MSPI? Milk Soy Protein Intolerance.

Yep. My baby has it.

Needless to say this last month has not been easy.

Tears. An upset tummy. No sleeping. Tears. Frustration. Did I mention tears?

He had a ton of symptoms...and I was nervous from the beginning he might have MSPI. Only time could tell.

I eliminated practically everything from my diet. He returned to his happy normal self within 2 weeks.

First, I added wheat. He did good.
Five days later, I added soy. NOT SO GOOD. 2 days later he was spitting up mucous-y stringy spit up. Then his stools did the same. I called to see if I should stay on it...maybe he could adjust to it. Nope. The mucous meant his stomach was so irritated and most likely bleeding so it was producing a slim to coat his insides. So sad, huh?

So, it's taken another week off soy for him to return to being happy again.

Frustrating...but we made it. And I've learned a lot.

Milk products and soy are in EVERYTHING.


I would switch to formula but it's more than twice as expensive for the kind I need. And leaving to go to work to pay for formula doesn't sound like fun.

So, I'm sticking it out. Trying to nurse to the end. (A heafty goal considering the longest I've nursed is 8 months.) We won't be re-introducing milk or soy till one year. Most babies grow out of it by then.

So, here's to 8 more months and hopefully an added bonus of a skinny body. (For me, that is. A girl can dream of ONE good benefit from this, right?)

PS: I had to ask where the rice milk was at the store. When they pointed me away from the refrigerated section...my heart stopped beating.

But, wouldn't you know...rice milk actually tastes good after drinking it for 4 weeks. Weird, I know.

13 comments:

Heidi said...

You are better than I. Im not sure I could do that. Poor baby though. I am glad you got it all figured out and things are looking up for him!
Skinny Amber... here you come!

Britney and Jaren Jensen said...

just doing catch up with you on your blog...so entertaining! You are hilarious and so are your kids. You baby Owen is beautiful, and I just love everything about you Amber :) I wish I were your neighbor so you could tell me stories and make me laugh everyday!

Breana and Jordan Holmes said...

Seriously, I agree with Heidi Good for you to stick it out. I hope Owen is okay!

Shelly said...

Hang in there. You can do it! My husband does Rice Milk, too and it's not so bad after you get used to it. Good luck!

Emily C said...

i'm glad you figured it out!!! but sorry its been such a pain!!

Ashlee said...

Your poor baby! UMMM, but ya I would be switching to a bottle.lol

{jen} iCandyhandmade said...

Hi Amber,
Try Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk. It is really good....

The Reese Crew said...

Good luck! Sounds horrifying....I live on dairy!

Summer said...

Amber, you are such an amazing mother. Owen is so blessed to have a mommy willing to sacrifice her own comfort and routine for him. We are praying for your continued wisdom and strength. Nursing is tough, especially when you have to put so much thought into what you are eating, but most things worth doing are tough. Much love!!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Baak Talk said...

What mothers will sacrifice!! You are such a wondeful mom.

Perk is, at least you figured it out and you will have a happy baby for your efforts. Bryce & Brian just cried the first 1 and 2 years of their life away no matter what I eliminated!

Best wishes and much empathy sent your way!!

Stephers said...

I have a friend who went through this too. She also showed me on the nutrition labels how soy really is in EVERYTHING! Can Owen tolerate any soy at all? Man that is rough. We also did Rice milk and still have the extra in our food storage!

The Yorgason Family said...

I'm impressed. Good luck with all that. I don't think I could do that either. I actually drank rice milk in Utah for awhile. My roommate and I shared grocery's.. it went further that way. She is a vegetarian, so I thought I would give it a whirl with some things. We bought our Rice Milk in the refrigerated area. Maybe it's not the right kind though for you... I dunno. But it is out there, just in case. :0) Good Luck again!! I hope it all works out and isn't too bad for you.