Monday, May 11, 2009

Mother's Day


Yesterday, was a good day. Different than past Mother's Days but still good. Chad and I both spoke in Sacrament. And Chad had to take over Primary for me since he's in the Elder's Quorum Presidency. So the sleeping in and breakfast in bed didn't happen. I sat and watched Chad run around like a mad man trying to fill in classes where people didn't show or needed more help. You'd think it would be humorous...but I felt bad for him. When we got in the car after church he just took a deep breath. The poor guy didn't even complain he just looked exhausted. He definitely lived my life for a day. I love this guy! And my kiddo's too!

But the best part of the whole day was when Chad gave me a home-made card before we took off to church. I opened it up and inside was a copy of a little note we had written back and forth in a church class when we were 16 years old. Keep in mind we did NOT like each other. We were friends that vented about our relationships and had this ongoing joke...

The note went like this:

Chad: Why is he mad at you? I think he's jealous we are getting married!

Amber: Tell me about it. But I don't care as long as we are getting married.

Chad: I better not get a "Dear John" letter on my mission!

Amber: You won't. And I better not get a "Dear Jane." Is there such a thing? Think about how awesome our wedding video is gonna be!

Chad told me in the card that he has kept this note taped in the inside of his journal ever since. Isn't that so cute! I had no clue. I remembered writing it. The bubbly writing and all. But I didn't know he still had it. The handwriting and immaturity of it all gives both of us a good laugh.

My talk was on Women in the Scriptures. I ended with this quote from President Hinckley and a lot of people asked me for it. So, I'm sharing it with all of you because I really like it.

“I feel to invite women everywhere to rise to the great potential within you. I do not ask that you reach beyond your capacity. I hope you will not nag yourselves with thoughts of failure. I hope you will not try to set goals far beyond your capacity to achieve. I hope you will simply do what you can do in the best way you know. If you do so, you will witness miracles come to pass.”

11 comments:

Ashley said...

That's so sweet that he kept that note for so long. :) Those moments are the best. Sounds like you had a great mother's day.

Unknown said...

very cute! and a very timely comment. Thanks!

Emily C said...

i loved both of your talks on sunday. best talks we've had for a while.

church was so nice on sunday, i felt to spoiled getting a little break from primary, so thanks to Chad and the other guys for filling in. it was really nice.

that 16 yr old note is classic. so cool that you guys have such a history together. so cute you too!!!

Matt and Melody Odell said...

That was so cute. I loved your talks in sacrament. When I saw your name on the program I thought, oh this is going to be good! Congrats on being pregnant too!

Baak Talk said...

I wish I could have been there for your talks! What an awesome mother's day! I'm going to put that quote on my blog, it's awesome.

I know the kids always survive Priesthood primary day; the question is always, does the Priesthood survive? Plus, I think that's such a great idea, it gives them such a good sense of how much we do in Primary. I'm going to try to implement it in my new ward.

Happy belated mother's day to an awesome mom!

Heidi said...

LOVE IT! how cute was that letter written back and forth. Who knew... Chad obviously had an idea! SO CUTE!
and I love that quote. I will be putting that up!

Melanie Jacobson said...

I meant to tell you that I LOVED your talk on Sunday. I thought it was awesome.

ashley g. said...

Very cool- I had no idea how fun it could be to be so sentimental! Can't wait to read more of the Chad and Amber Chronicles. When does the next part come out?

Feather Fam. said...

One of the best moms I know!

Sheryl said...

Love the note....you two are more adorable than you know! It is the appreciation that deepens the love! Love the quote!!

Jana Howard said...

That was an amazing talk! We are so blessed to have you in our family! Love you!!