Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Surfing

So when we were at the beach in San Onofre everyone brought their surf boards and the husbands spent the early afternoon surfing. Amber Baltzer (on the left) is an awesome surfer and I've always told her I'm going to do it some day with her. (and for some history...we've been friends ever since Chad and I got married 7 years ago. The funny part is: When we met she and I were finishing up school about to graduate (in different professions) and both her husband and Chad were applying to business schools to go into business finance. The real kicker comes when we are together because it's: Amber & Chad and Amber & Tad! SCARY!) So it's safe to say I've been saying I've wanted to surf for 7 years. It's one of those things I've really intended on doing but the kids have made that difficult when it's just us and the kids. So this time the men were there and Amber B. wasn't going to let me leave without trying. It was pretty cold so I was hesitant. But Amber is that friend that is not up for excuses. She's that running partner...that if you slept in and answer the door in your pajamas and give her that look like there's no way you can go...think twice..."you better hurry and get dressed fast!" I love it...and I always have. Everyone needs a friend like that!
Three Amber's Surfing: Amber Baltzer, Me, Amber Sim.

There are four Amber's in our ward and three of us went to San Onofre! So what could be more
fun then having Amber B. give surfing lessons to us newbies! I love this picture. Amber Sim's husband took this. And most importantly I appreciate that she turned it into a black and white picture before she emailed it to me. Why? Well, Sunday was Mother's Day and one Sunday a year Amber Baltzer and I can sit next to each other since she's been in Young Women's since we met and I've been in Primary. Well, it's seems many people noticed how butt white I was when I sat next to her! So now, none of you can see the difference...and I like it that way. (Side note: Amber and I have always wanted to serve together in our church calling. Back in 2001...our husbands got called to serve together as teacher's in Primary when all the other teachers were husband/wife teams. Amber and I always said that wasn't fair! So it's no surprise to us when two weeks ago Chad was called to serve with Tad as financial clerks!)

So here I am, surfing or my sorry attempt at it. Amber was a good teacher...even though I was shocked no one told me about the shark attack just 20 minutes south. A guy was attacked training for a triathlon...one week before this. Hey, I'm training for a sprint triathlon...so I would have been perfect bait on my first attempt at surfing. It freaked me out even though I found out a few days after I was in the water.

4 comments:

Autumn said...

Girl your too hard on yourself. You look AWESOME for your 1st time out! Hope to surf with ya this summer!

shari berry bo-berry said...

way to go Amber! I too have always wanted to surf...maybe I will SOME DAY!

Sheryl said...

Go Gidget! another thing to add to your awesome resume of life!

Britni and Owen said...

Haha, that's so sweet! Well done. You look like pro.