Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Sprint Triathlon

Yesterday, we had our sprint triathlon. My sister's and I trained for this so I was pretty nervous I was going to eat it on my bike or something. The swim was first and it's my favorite and best event. I wish it were last! We swam 30 lengths of the pool. Then on to the bike (12.2 miles). This was much better than last year because I actually borrowed a road bike instead of riding my beach cruiser with a kid seat attached. It rained for part of the ride but overall it went pretty good. I kept looking over my shoulder because I knew my sister would catch up to me on this part. And sure enough around mile 9 she went right past me. She was screaming for me to hurry and keep up with her because she was riding behind a hard core biker who was breaking the wind for her...but I couldn't catch up. Seeing her in front of me pushed me because I didn't want her to get too far ahead. By the time I got off my bike she was about to start the run. So we ran together for the first part. We grabbed water at the first station and I started choking. Apparently, I'm not so great at multi-tasking when it comes to running/breathing and drinking. So at the next station I stopped to grab a drink and I told Mindy not to wait for me. Plus...the big hill was next and I knew she would fly up it. I walked little parts of it and once I got up that was it! I promised myself no stopping after that! My legs were completely numb. It was the craziest feeling! This first picture is me about 10 feet before the finish line. And if you are wondering why I look so retarded...I was sprinting the end. I crossed the finish line and stopped and Mindy said, "Amber keep walking or you'll puke!" No puking and after a minute I felt so good. It's one of those things where you finish and think...I will definitely do that again! The run is my weakest part so the mere fact I only walked part of the hill made me happy. Mindy finished about 2 minutes before me. She was the first girl to finish and I was the second. I was 15th to finish if you include all the men. Yeah for me!
You can see the standings at www.fv3triathlon.blogspot.com

My sisters and I: Jillyn, me and Mindy.
We are the three youngest in our family. Jillyn's the oldest of us three, then Mindy, then Me!
Jillyn was so proud of her number: 303...or MOM!

The three Amber's

Me, Amber B, Mindy

Family that all did the sprint triathlon. From left to right: Kellianne & Jeff (cousins), Mindy & Brett, Jillyn & Curt, me, Corey (cousin), Kenny (my uncle), and Jillyn's little girls: Ally and Katelyn.

14 comments:

Feather Fam. said...

Amber that is so AWESOME! How was your Running/"Biking Pump Up music?

Autumn said...

TOTALLY CUTE PHOTOS!
I LOVE YOUR SISTERS!
TELL JILLYN HELLO AND WE NEED TO GET TOGETHER.
TOO FUNNY, YOUR COUSIN COREY JUST CALLED ME TONIGHT TO GO SURFING!!

Rachel said...

Hey Amber- Patrice showed me your blog while she was in town. It's cute and your family is darling! Way to go on the race and way to get your family into it!

ashley g. said...

AWESOME!!! I am so proud of you- you are one crazy swimmer/biker/runner. I am totally envious- the only thing holding me back from a tri would be the harsh reality that I would probably drown.

YOU ARE A ROCK STAR!! I'm glad you finished and you had such a great time!

Sarah said...

Way to go! Way cute pictures too. You are truly amazing, I am pretty sure I wouldn't make it through all that.

Dixons said...

That's awesome!! Why is it when I was training for a triathlon noone would do it with me and now a bunch of you girls were rockin' it up when I'm huge and prego!? Way to go! ;)

Sheryl said...

You are rockin' the mom world! Love you!

{jen} iCandyhandmade said...

Way to go! I am so impressed! I really loved your sprint picture. Hot Stuff.

Nicole said...

Way to go!!! That is so awesome. And tell Mindy it's nice to see a picture of her face. START A BLOG!

Nicole said...

PS...I just saw your request for a playlist (a little late, sorry) but for future reference....Destiny's Child "I'm a Survivor". I ran a race last year and kept hitting repeat on that one for the last couple miles.

Jillonnie said...

Amber your flippin amazing!!! Congrats on the big win!!! I miss hanging out with you so much, love reading all your blogs but I get alittle sad we can't hang out that often... why the heck did I ever move away?

Jen said...

love your blog! As I said before, I am SO impressed with you! (and your sisters) You all look smokin' hot in those pics - you would never guess you just did a Triathlon!

Jenni said...

You rock!!! That's so cool that so many of you in your fam got to do it together!!!!

david santos said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.