Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Memorial Day Picnic

The ward I grew up in always had races and a picnic on Memorial Day. Even though we don't live in the ward...my sister's still do so we like to pretend we are part of it all. I thought I would be exhausted after the triathlon but instead I am now...a day later. Anyways, the kids had lots of fun at the picnic. They still have the kid races they had when I was a kid...only it's not at the high school track anymore. They had all types of races. When I showed my sister this picture of us...she was laughing so hard. But I told her it wasn't blog worthy because I wasn't in front. We tied the first time and this was the second. I probably don't have to mention I tripped at the beginning. It wouldn't have mattered too much anyway because Mindy has way more endurance than me. I usually never expect to beat her because she is so stinkin' athletic. We have a home video of us as kids at the races...and my dad is video taping. When Mindy's age group comes up...he says how she will for sure win because she is so quick. Then my age group came up and he said...in the video camera: "Now, Amber probably won't win. She's just not as quick as Mindy." I did have really fast girls in my age group but that year I must have heard my dad from 100 yards away because I won! I love that home video and will forever tease my dad about it!
The guys...going for it. Chad is fourth from the right.
Alexis is ready to go. Carter just raced along the side.

Below...is a picture of the 5 and under race. Alexis is in the middle in the white shirt. She beat all the girls and some of the boys. She was so bummed when I went to tell her how good she did. She just stood at the finish line all quiet. I told her she ran so fast and she said, "Yeah, but I didn't win...that Ka-lua guy won!" Someone's a little competitive! Where in the world would she get that from?
I love this picture of Mindy's girl, Brooke.

After the picnic we went to my parents house and ordered some dinner in and relaxed. We made a big deal of this movie night for the kids upstairs...and told them they had to stay in the room or the movie got turned off! Then we went in the jacuzzi to relax. We thought the kids would never know! Except...my daughter came down and said with a nice little pout, "I just don't feel like it's fair you all get to go in the jacuzzi and us little kids don't!"

No comments: