Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Owen's 1st Birthday

This little boy had a Birthday last Thursday, October 28th.
Photobucket
And he turned...
Photobucket
Made the shirt myself via freezer stenciling. I love it. Thanks to Dana from Made for the idea and a totally generous blogger who I don't know named Allie from Really Quite Lucky for the stencil she perfected in photoshop. She sure made my life easier. I love people like that!

The Birthday Boy...
Photobucket
These kids just can't get enough of him and neither can we!
Photobucket
The Decorations...
Photobucket
We decorated our family room a bit. I normally decorate their room in streamers and balloons but I really didn't trust it would all stay up and feared Owen would start eating the decorations...so to the family room they went.
Photobucket
Alexis was a big help as usual.

The Guests...
Photobucket
We invited Chad's family over for a low key celebration. (My family was all coming over for Halloween in 3 days.) Somehow I missed getting a picture of Chad's sister, Kelli, and her cute family.

The Cake...
Photobucket
Dairy Free cake mix and frosting. (YUCK!) But the important thing was...I was still able to carry on the tradition of making him a mini 3 tier cake for his 1st birthday. Chad says I'm a want-to-be cake decorator...because my lines are all crooked. You got to love husbands! Sure I enjoy making things, even beyond fabric...but I never claim anything I make to be perfect. Ok...fine. Maybe, to my Husband.
Photobucket
He licked the frosting and it seemed like he ate a few bites. But after a little pushing around it just turned into a fun thing to squeeze and drop on the floor.

I made an Oreo Ice cream cake that, of course, had dairy for the rest of us!
Photobucket
Yah...it was really good. And I ate the last huge piece the other day after I had a really mean lady do my ultrasound. This was my real one...I didn't tell her I had gone to one of those cheap places to find out what sex my baby was. Do you want to know what she did after 45 minutes of not talking to me with the screen turned, taking measurements of my baby. She got my husband and looked to see the sex TWICE in 30 seconds and then said...

"Well, I guess this baby will have to be a surprise...it's' in a horrible position to be able to tell."

"Can't I do some stretches to see if the baby will move?" I say.

"Nope. That won't help! The exit is to your right." And with that she leaves out another door.

GRRR...Chad and I were mad. And I was mad enough to eat the rest of Owen's cake when I got home. There....I'm done with my tangent...now back to Owen.

The Presents...
Lucky Charms from Alexis and Carter; A mini beach ball from Carter (He just picked that out at the office for getting his cavities filled.)
Photobucket
A train from Kelli, Andrew & Conner; and a Dora and Laurie Berkner Band DVD from Grandma and Grandpa Pitt.

We got him this over-sized Tonka Dump Trunk since he pushes anything and everything around the house.
Photobucket
But you gotta love when your child gets all new presents but goes back to getting into things he shouldn't within a matter of MINUTES!
Photobucket
The boy gets up on the fireplace all day. He sits up there. He plays with his toys up there. He bounces to the music up there. But most of all he likes to get up on his tippy toes and reach into the basket and pull out DVD's...and then he drops them one by one and says, "Uh Oh."

Photobucket
What we love about Owen:
-He shows just about anyone how he can flex his huge muscles. Oh, it's so funny if you haven't seen it.
-He laughs just because everyone else is laughing...and then keeps laughing even when everyone is done.
-When he sees a TV he points to it and says, "Dor Dor." (for Dora)
-He will whack at your spoon if he's done eating and you try to feed him another bite. (I don't love it...but it's so Owen.)
-He LOVES his "Da-Da." Since Chad works upstairs anytime I bring him up to take a nap he yells "Da-Da" down that hall and we just have to go see him first.
-He will haul booty down the hall, up the stairs...where ever...if he hears the bathtub on. He could take a bath or go in the Jacuzzi all day and be the happiest kid in the world.
-He's at least out grown his soy problem. Whoo hoo! Next...we conquer dairy.
-He cheers like crazy at Alexis and Carter's soccer games. He claps and yells non-sense...because that's what we do.
-It freaked me out when his canines (the pointy teeth) grew in before any other teeth. That is super rare. But what's even more rare is that they grew in...in the wrong position...Next to the two front teeth! Now that he has his 2 front teeth he doesn't look quite so vampire-ish. It seemed so odd at first but now I'm used to his unique smile that no one else really notices.
-My absolute favorite thing is that he is so expressive. He loves picking Alexis up from school. He loves his Grandparents. And he especially LOVES when I walk in the door from work. His smile is contagious and it makes me so happy to have him in our family.

6 comments:

Kristy said...

The party is adorable! Loved the shirt, cake, Tonka truck, etc. He is adorable! The picture of you, Chad and owen is so cute. You look great!

Feather Fam. said...

Since we talked last time about how we never comment on blogs... get ready for a doozy!!!
#1 I don't think I have ever met this little guy (every time we get together he is asleep!)- so that is pretty sad. He is so cute and so YOU!
#2 the first pic of you is AWESOME
#3 I am pretty sure you are getting more and more creative which is making me like you less and less (wait... I take that back because I have benefited from your creativeness)
#4 Eat all the cake you want... and drink all the milk you want with it!
#5 I hate your ultrasound person with you! I have had enough ultrasounds in my life to know that a good one can make or break the fun!
OK-I think that is it for now!

Dejah said...

So Cute! I love the shirt you made. Happy birthday Owen!

Jenni said...

CHeck out your cute party decor and that t-shirt! And the cakes! You never cease to amaze me with your talents girl!!! Happy Birthday Owen!!!

Heidi said...

that is an adorable party theme!! and I am so impressed that you made his uno shirt, so perfect! I may have to copy that idea for our next one!

JS said...

His shirt turned out so good! I love the party. What a good idea.
I am glad you found the tonka truck finally. :)