Sunday, January 17, 2010

The SAD/HAPPY NEWS...

I'll tell you the news through a little story.

My parents sit down with their grandchildren to tell them the news.


My Dad: "Kids...we have good news and bad new for you."

Katelyn (11 yrs old): "Tell us the bad news first."

My Dad: "Well, we will be leaving again. But this time we will be gone for 3 years!"

Katelyn: "What's the good news?"

My Dad: "Well, Elder Eyring has just asked us to serve as mission presidents."

Tyler (7 yrs old): "What was the good news? I must have missed it."


To the grandkids...this is NOT good news. And many days, it isn't good news for us adults either.

I got a call just before Christmas. At work, no less. My dad wanted to be the one to tell me there was a possibility they would be leaving again.

I was inbetween seeing patients and I started CRYING so hard. But had to quickly wipe away my tears to see another patient.

A little over a week ago my parents sat down via video conference with Elder Eyring. They leave June 23. All we know now is it is English Speaking. We don't know where until mid February. But it could be overseas which would make visiting them difficult.

The good news for Chad and I is that we will be MOVING! My parents have asked if we could live in their house while they are gone. We couldn't be more excited to have access to a washer and dryer, a side yard, an attached garage, a pool, a large house and a cul-de-sac for the kids to ride their bikes in. Not to mention we will now be in both my sister's ward and the kids will all go to the same school. My elementary school. Moving is bitter sweet too because we have loved our ward and I have loved all the parents I've met at Alexis' school.

So, come JUNE...we are out of this joint. No more coin-op laundry, wheeling the dishwasher to the sink, and stray cat poop tracked onto my carpet. I like the sound of it already.

Have I ever told you I get my craftiness from my mom? She has a large laundry room (with a laundry shoot) set up for sewing and tons of counter space.

9 comments:

Beth said...

Wow, Amber. . . . .I'm so sorry they will be gone again! It is so great that they are able to go and do everything they do, but I am sure it is so hard having them gone. But, that's exciting about moving!!! Oh, the memories of the laundry shoot. And, do you remember our play we did in your pool for FHE, in the dead of winter!!!! Hilarious.

Jenni said...

wow---so exciting and bittersweet for sure! I can't wait to hear where they're going!! And what a blessing that you guys can move into their house while they're gone! That's awesome!

Tamsyn said...

After Stake Conf. yesterday we were talking about what your parents would do with their house...and I was right. They asked you guys to live in it. That is great! I am sorry it is bittersweet, but maybe it won't be overseas....I guess you'll find out soon enough!!

Emily C said...

thats extremely happy news that you get to move into your parents house. that will be such a nice upgrade from the manor!!

Evaly said...

We are moving this summer too- I am counting down to my washer & dryer too!!

shari berry bo-berry said...

Brad and I were guessing this would happen, and we are happy for you and Chad!!! I didn't consider the fact that all of your sisters are in that ward too...so that is an added bonus for sure!

I hate coin-op laundry. It sucks. I can't believe I agreed to sell my washer and dryer and give up a dishwasher to move into this place. Oh wait...saving $$$ each month is worth it...I GUESS! :)

Can't wait to hear where your parents are going!

Ashlee said...

I was just telling Leslie how excited I was for you to move into your parents house. That will be so great! I am so excited for you!!

JS said...

bummer... you will be out of the ward, and bummer your parents will be gone again, but AWESOME!!! to have a house. that is wonderful!

Summer said...

Amber and Chad I am so excited for you guys to have more space for your adorable family. How awesome to have parents that are willing to serve at such a great sacrifice to themselves.