Friday, December 5, 2008

Try this...

Conduct a women's choir, men's choir, high school aged choir, a childrens choir, a sunbeam (4 year old) choir a full orchestra ALL AT THE SAME TIME. No, wait...arrange the music yourself...and while your at it write a few of your own Christmas songs. *Don't forget to write different parts for each choir and each voice range...and you've got to write the music for EVERY instrument in the orchestra...since it is from scratch! Now go do it in front of thousands of people!

See that man doing it in the center? I'm proud to say that is my brother-in-law, Brett. He is so extremely talented. He started this program a year ago. He has a passion for teaching people to appreciate good music! This concert was at Segerstrom Hall (The Orange County Performing Arts Center). The place is huge and incredible. The tickets for this concert sold out within 2 weeks.

Writing music for a full orchestra amazes me. Especially since Brett plays the piano. Not the violin, saxaphone, drums...whatever. Last year I asked him how he writes a huge piece like that for instruments he doesn't know how to play...this is what he said, "I can just hear a song in my head. I hear when each instrument needs to come in and I have to write it down." And for a split second...I understood. Chad doesn't understand why I start my craft & sewing projects so late...but most of the time...my mind is spinning with ideas. If I go to bed. The ideas go too! I know it's not nearly as impressive as Brett's incredible gift but it's a gift that you can't teach someone. You just have it or you don't.
Here are some video clips so you can get a little glimpse of his concert.

This is one of my favorites. Because to me...it was 100% Brett. If I heard it outside of this concert I think I could have guessed he might have written it. Something about the fun African tune!


I tried to get a close up of Brett. His tiny 5'5" backside...dripping sweat! I think he does like 1 1/2 hours of squats and jumps when he leads them softer and louder. My camera wouldn't zoom enough and when I gave in and just took the picture...MY FLASH was on! I was so red and embarrassed!

All Choirs:


Childrens Choir:


Sunbeam Choir:


If you aren't impressed with that...you're in trouble.

9 comments:

Stephers said...

Listening to that music is exhilarating! I remember meeting Brett and was impressed way back then. He is doing incredible things!

Ashley said...

Wow, that's amazing. I am always baffled by how people can write music for so many different parts too.

Becca's Blog said...

wow! I am so proud of him! It looks incredible. I always knew he would be great! Do you have any contact with Amanda Dardis? I would love to get back in touch with her.
Thanks,
Becca
I am sorry you are so busy and hope things slow down for you.
Take Care
Do you have a new address for Christmas Cards?

shari berry bo-berry said...

Amber, thank you so much for posting this! I was pretty much in tears after reading the first paragraph. I had NO, i mean NOOOOO idea he did ALL of that. I am humbled to know how brilliant his mind and talents are. I am so bummed that we didn't go to the concert...but I am so glad I got to hear little snippets from your video clips! Maybe we'll be lucky enough to get a CD of the concert or something...and you can bet your bottom dollar we'll be there next year.

WOWZA!!!!!

JS said...

I am very impressed... he sounds like an August Rush type...

Rachel said...

Brett really is amazing. I bet Mindy is so proud of him. I'm glad to hear his hard work is paying off!

Ashlee said...

Ya, he is amazing! I loved this post it reminded me of our ward in S. Cal. and all of the amazingly talented people! Yes, I include you in this bunch! Oh Sammy was born on Dec. 3 it is her Blrthday party, no it is not just a party for fun! I wouldn't do that to myself!!

Unknown said...

Thanks for the little snippets... we were so sad we couldn't make it down for the concert.

Sara said...

Thanks Amber! I had heard great things about the concert, so it was fun to see it for myself! I'm so excited for Brett and everyone involved.
I love your blog. Wishing you and your family a very happy new year! -Sara Bales Lehman