Thursday, February 21, 2008

Valentine Cookies

My Grandma used to always make us sugar cookies on Valentine's Day. She would ding dong ditch them to our house and tie a string to them so when we tried to reach for them she would be hiding behind bushes and pull them away. It was always something I looked forward to. Although, we don't tie the string yet...we have carried on the tradition of making the cookies.

Here they are! Alexis did most of the decorating. Those are lips and hearts. Can you tell which ones are hers? She color coordinated all her candy hearts! I must admit...they look better than the mix matched ones I did. This is the best sugar cookie recipe EVER...so SOFT! So I thought I'd share...

Sugar Cookies




1 C. Sour Cream 4 t. Baking Powder
1 t. Baking Soda 1 t. Salt
2 C. White Sugar 5-6 C. Flour
1 C. Butter

3 Eggs


1 t. Vanilla





In a small bowl combine sour cream and baking soda till
fluffy. In a large bowl mix sugar, butter, eggs & vanilla.
Add sour cream mixture. Gradually mix in baking powder,
salt, & flour.
Bake: 7 min @ 350


Frosting

1/2 cup Butter
1/2 cup Crisco
1 t. Vanilla Extract
1 t. Almond Extract
3/4 t. Salt
1/2 cup Milk
32 oz. Powdered Sugar

5 comments:

Beth said...

I LOVE sugar cookies, and we make them for just about every holiday. They are a lot of work with all the mixing, cooking, decorating, and clean-up, but I swear it is worth it. The kids love it. I'm going to try out your recipe. THANKS! And, that is the cutest idea ever with the string! I want to be a crazy/fun grandma like that someday! I remember your grandma used to put cottage cheese in scrambled eggs. I still do it! YUMMY!!!

shari berry bo-berry said...

Thanks for sharing the recipe! My kids want to make cookies for FHE next week and tonight Jakob told me he wants to decorate them with candy and "all the frosting we want." So, that means they want sugar cookies. I'm going to try this recipe!

Beth said...

just read your comment, and yes I know what you mean! I was just saying to Garrett, "another crazy day tomorrow. We have three of the kids friends coming over, and I have three friends coming over for lunch so my sis-in-law can wax their eyebrows. so I have to clean the house tonight and do lunch for everyone tomorrow." He just looked at me and said, "WHY? Why do you do this to yourself?" BUT, I love it. The kids have fun when stuff is going on, so I guess you just hold on and hope you survive, right?

shari berry bo-berry said...

Hey, I wanted to answer your question. Yes, that girl in the blue shirt was on gray's anatomy!

Jenni said...

YUM!!!! Looks like you've been busy Betty Crocker!!! Send some my way!