Monday, February 14, 2011

Flashback

I was sitting in church on Sunday with Chad, Alexis and Carter in Big Bear. (Owen was napping at Grandma's.) It was nice to have one Sunday where we weren't wrestling Owen and trying to entertain him and keep him quiet.

We were singing the opening hymn and I just sat there for a while singing but, really, listening to my husband's voice. There are a lot of things I love about Chad...and his voice is one of those things I REALLY love. I always have. But there is usually that little 15 month old distraction so I don't hear him singing that often. He used to sing duets on his mission...but he's somewhat shy singing in public especially if all eyes are on him. He does not realize how incredible his voice is. So, basically his voice goes under the radar and not many people know how well he sings and how it just melts my heart.

As he was singing and I was thinking the above...I had a major flashback.

Going way back...

20 years ago, during one of our big stake productions my friend and I would hurry and get ready for our next number so we could sneak into the back of the cultural hall where no on could see us to see our favorite number. We did this every show night since we didn't have to be on stage yet. The number was sung by a Dad I didn't know at all...he sang "In The Jungle" from The Lion King. The song gets super high and this guy was so good at singing it. I remember telling my friend..."wouldn't he be the coolest Dad ever!"

I was 12 years old at the time.

Almost 20 years later...at 31...I am sitting next to that Dad's son in church realizing...I got my wish. "That Dad" that I loved sneaking off and listening to back when I was 12 is now my father-in-law. And my husband inherited that heart melting voice from his Dad. I didn't even know he had sons at the time. I met Chad 3 years later when I was 15 and we started dating at 17. Who would have thought?

Basically, I felt like a pretty lucky girl sitting in church listening to my husband sing yesterday. I love flashbacks like that.

2 comments:

Michele said...

LOVE that story... Miss you!

Dejah said...

That is such a cute story! I love when you post stories about when you and Chad were young. Chad's family really is amazing.