Thursday, August 13, 2009

Hmm...THANKS?

Hypothetically speaking...this conversation might have taken place today at work when I brought a patient back to my room.

"Oh, wow, when are you due?"

"October."

"Really, you are not big at all. You aren't even popping out very much."

"Oh yeah. I feel big, so thanks."

"Could I have a pillow to put under my knees?"

"Sure, let me get that for you."


(I turn my back to her and leave the room and come back with a pillow.)

"Amber, I know why you don't look very big yet."

"Really, why?"

"Because you carry it ALL the way around your backside."


No comment from me.

"Now, that's good and bad. Good because you probably don't have back problems from carrying all the weight up front. Bad because you carry the weight EVERYWHERE else."

I laugh an uncomfortable laugh. "Yep. You're right...just a reality that it's not coming out with the baby. Now, how 'bout your teeth!"

In case you all didn't know...I didn't need to be told this to know the truth. The sad thing is...she said it in the sweetest most matter of fact voice.

7 comments:

ashley g. said...

I hope you made her gums bleed. What a terd.

shari berry bo-berry said...

I guess she has never heard of TACT!

i am not sure I would have been able to bite my tongue like you did... good for you!!!

Ashley said...

I got comments about having twins or being due really soon when I was still weeks away. Don't worry, it happens. :) I'm sure you look great.

Breana and Jordan Holmes said...

Funny how when you're probably the most sensitive about how you look, that people don't hold back...I don't understand it.

Feather Fam. said...

Ok... stories like this (and your willingness to share the fun) is the reason I love you sooo much... and your booty!
You make me laugh!

Kristin said...

????????????????????????????????? oh. my. gosh.

Beth said...

you know, I have never understood how people think it is ok to say all the things they do to pregnant women. REALLY!!! Oh my word!!!